Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homesteader Quilting Machine--what should I do??? >

Homesteader Quilting Machine--what should I do???

Homesteader Quilting Machine--what should I do???

Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM

Default Homesteader Quilting Machine--what should I do???

Ok--so I posted about a week ago about WOW I quilter for $300--I decided to forgo that machine for several reasons. I now have run across a 19" homesteader for not much more $.

My conundrum is this:--

1. should I get this machine and use it for a low cost way to figure out if I even like quilting on a frame? I have a Juki 98Q but haven't used it on a frame because of the limited quilting space(I have a Gracie II frame but am planning on setting it up in the next few weeks).

OR

2. put the Juki on the frame and play around with it to see if I even enjoy frame quilting and if I do, then try to find something with a larger throat within a price point that I am comfortable with?

I haven't read much about the Homesteader, only what has been on this board as well as on the dot com site itself. Those of you who have one or had one, do/did you like it---was it picky about thread, tension, timing, etc.? All I've really read is that it seems or is a little "workhorse"--whatever what that might mean to different people.

I would use this machine or any other for finishing my own quilt tops and for charity. I have no desire to quilt for others, that's why I don't want to go out and spend 1000's of $$$ for something that I may or may not enjoy once I get into the reality of frame quilting.

I have played on the long-arm sit down as well as the frame machines at shows and I like the concept of them equally well--however, I have never seen Homesteader at any of them---mainly Nolting, Tin Lizzie, Pfaff, Viking, Babylock, HQ, and of course, Innova(which would be my choice if money were no object). But, I know playing with them at a show, and then using them in reality can be two different things.

I would love to be able to do pantos as well as free motion and would like to do more than just an all-over meander.

Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions would be most welcome--and those of you who have seen in person or used a Homesteader, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

i had a juki 98Q and learned a lot by using it on my frame. with creative quilting designs, i was able to quilt a king sized top with it. i vote for your second choice.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 PM

I don't think homesteader is in business anymore. Check before you commit to anything.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Homesteader does seem to be in business. Their website is http://www.thequiltingsolution.com and they have shows scheduled through 2014. This is not nearly as well-known a brand as other quilting setups such as Bailey, etc.

Can you try out the Homesteader before buying? I don't know much of anything about Homesteader, but I did find this QB thread that indicates it is a decent machine:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t207535.html

You need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the two purchases. Personally, the small quilting space afforded by a Juki on a frame would be a *huge* disadvantage to me. However, it would be a safe way to find out if you enjoy moving the machine instead of the quilt. If you decide you don't like it, you could use the Juki for piecing or easily sell it used as it is a very well-known machine. If you decide you do like machine quilting, you will quickly be itching for more harp space after quilting a few large quilts and will want to upgrade.

The advantage of the Homesteader is that, if you find you like machine quilting on a frame, it should last you quite awhile before you would want to upgrade. The disadvantage is that Homesteader is not a well-known brand, so selling this setup could be more difficult. A lot depends on the price. If it is in working order with a stitch regulator and frame and price is under $1,000, then I would consider that a great opportunity for an entry-level longarm setup.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 PM

The advantage of the Homesteader is that, if you find you like machine quilting on a frame, it should last you quite awhile before you would want to upgrade. The disadvantage is that Homesteader is not a well-known brand, so selling this setup could be more difficult. A lot depends on the price. If it is in working order with a stitch regulator and frame and price is under $1,000, then I would consider that a great opportunity for an entry-level longarm setup.

It does not have stitch regulator, but speed control and yes, it would be under $1000---but I would probably need to get a different frame, or use the handmade frame that it comes with.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

My setup does not have a stitch regulator (I have a Voyager 17/Hinterberg setup that cost $3,000) but does have a speed control and I ***love*** it for free motion quilting.

I would still opt for the Homesteader and use it on the homemade frame. If you later want to upgrade the frame, just be sure to get one that is sturdy enough for whatever weight the machine is. The Voyager is a heavy machine and the Hinty frame can handle the weight; a Grace frame could not.

Having enough harp space to free-motion quilt is wonderful.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 AM

My first question would be: Can you get it serviced and repaired within a reasonable driving area? I have to drive 90 miles to take mine, which isn't a particularly long way, but you have to do it twice within a two week timeframe. Once to drop it off and the second to pick it up after service.

And yes, you are going to get very tired of a 9" throat space very quickly if you find you like quilting on a frame. And don't get discouraged after a couple quilts. I have had my Pfaff 9" quilting machine for about 3 years and am just now getting comfortable loading and quilting a quilt.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 PM

There shouldn't be any issue with getting it serviced and/or repaired here in the city where I live. I'm not afraid of that at all, and I probably should learn how to re-time a machine before I even went with a multi thousand dollar machine.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:13 PM

I tried one at a show and it seemed cheaply made in comparison to other long and mid-arm machines. I thought the other brands seemed to be better quality.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 AM

Set up the machine you now have on your frame and give it a try to see if you like "long arm" quilting. Then make the decision to buy a machine with a deeper throat space. That is the way I did it. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I love it. So now I have a mid-arm for my frame. Maybe if I ever win the lottery I can get a long arm!!!!!