Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM
ansew

Default Homesteader Quilting Machine--what should I do???

Ok--so I posted about a week ago about WOW I quilter for $300--I decided to forgo that machine for several reasons. I now have run across a 19" homesteader for not much more $.

My conundrum is this:--

1. should I get this machine and use it for a low cost way to figure out if I even like quilting on a frame? I have a Juki 98Q but haven't used it on a frame because of the limited quilting space(I have a Gracie II frame but am planning on setting it up in the next few weeks).

OR

2. put the Juki on the frame and play around with it to see if I even enjoy frame quilting and if I do, then try to find something with a larger throat within a price point that I am comfortable with?

I haven't read much about the Homesteader, only what has been on this board as well as on the dot com site itself. Those of you who have one or had one, do/did you like it---was it picky about thread, tension, timing, etc.? All I've really read is that it seems or is a little "workhorse"--whatever what that might mean to different people.

I would use this machine or any other for finishing my own quilt tops and for charity. I have no desire to quilt for others, that's why I don't want to go out and spend 1000's of $$$ for something that I may or may not enjoy once I get into the reality of frame quilting.

I have played on the long-arm sit down as well as the frame machines at shows and I like the concept of them equally well--however, I have never seen Homesteader at any of them---mainly Nolting, Tin Lizzie, Pfaff, Viking, Babylock, HQ, and of course, Innova(which would be my choice if money were no object). But, I know playing with them at a show, and then using them in reality can be two different things.

I would love to be able to do pantos as well as free motion and would like to do more than just an all-over meander.

Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions would be most welcome--and those of you who have seen in person or used a Homesteader, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks.