Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hooping for machine embroidery on a quilt >

Hooping for machine embroidery on a quilt

Hooping for machine embroidery on a quilt

Old 07-07-2012, 05:17 AM

I have the Bernina 580 (considered a baby 830), but I was taught to embroider on the top piece before quilting. If you really want to embroider the whole sandwich, take small bites. Anyway, Ann Peterson on Crafty's site has a great class that might be what you want.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

The only time I've been successful is using a Viking endless hoop and just doing the border, or quilting the individual blocks then using a quilt as you go method for joning them after quilting. As far as quilting an entire quilt, I know lots of folks have done it , but I had a hard time trying to keep the machine from bogging down from all the weight.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM

I did a quilt on my Pfaff 7570 some years ago. I only had a 4x4 field so only did on block at a time. The biggest thing for me was to make sure the quilt didn't pull on the frame while it was stitching. I had to make sure that all sides of the quilt hanging off the machine were pushed up next to the machine and on the table otherwise the weight would pull the frame out of alignment.... Other than that I just had to loosen the outside frame because of the thickness of the quilt and I used the plastic cross hatch guide to center the block. If I were using a larger frame I would mark my center spot on each of the blocks. The new frixion pens would work good for this...
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM

I have used blue painters tape on the inside hoop (using my biggest hoop) , sticky side up, then hooped a piece of cutaway and cut out a window, leaving just an inch around the outside. I stick the quilt sandwich down to the tape, pin on the edges of the stabilizer and set my design to center. I have never used stabilizer under the design (too much trouble to pick it out or waste washaway) the thickness of the quilt is stable enough. Works very well. You can rehoop about 8 or 10 times before the tape doesn't hold anymore. Never any residue, goes fast, stitch, unpin, re pin, stitch.