Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hottest New Quilt pattern?? >

Hottest New Quilt pattern??

Hottest New Quilt pattern??

Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 AM

Default Hottest New Quilt pattern??

Okay, here is the problem. I was asked if I was putting anything in the local quilt show in April this year. Usually, I am one step ahead and already started on something unusual or different. I am at a loss this year. I have become so bogged down in work that I haven't had time to really think about what I want to make. So, what is the hottest, new, method or pattern out there right now? Or do you have a favorite that you never get tired of seeing?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I think the big block quilts are becoming popular once again. Made with bold colors and high contrast.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:33 AM

Go browse Missouri Star Quilt tutorials for ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/MissouriQuiltCo

She's got some really neat ones that I had not seen before. Like the "You Got Mail", "The Merry Go Round" or the "Out of Bounds".

Last edited by AlienQuilter; 09-16-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 AM

Do you want easy or Challenging. I love Ediya Sitar patterns. Not sure I spelled her first name right. I made her Eldon Quilt and love her patterns.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I like to see all kinds of quilts at shows, from the oldest vintage quilts to the newest fads. I would hate to have to choose between traditional vs. art, or applique vs. pieced, or machine vs. hand sewn, etc. They all have their place. While it's nice to see what's "in vogue", it would be a shame to see only that. I guess my recommendation is to make what you want, whether it's something familiar and comforting or something that expands your abilities. You do beautiful work, and other quilters will be delighted to see it.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

​Labarynth Walk is on my "to do" list.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 AM

I have often wondered this too, piecemaker. Not necessarily for show quilts - just for the hottest trends. I'm sure there are probably sites or bloggers who follow or set what the hot trends are. I'd like to find them! I wonder if its like the fashion world, where the big designers 'push' their new ideas? Or is it something spun off of the big quilt shows?

I am just now finishing my first swoon quilt - I'm guessing that is probably a trend that is a couple of years old, fun pattern tho!
Will be interesting to see what pops up here
Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 AM

So many of the patterns I see now have a lot of empty space in the design.
Im not that good at FMQ so avoid those designs.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 AM

Among several quilt stores near me is one that specializes in modern quilting. Their website shows a number of the new styles that are now popular. The look is clean, bright, cheerful and often pretty easy to make. New quilts often have no borders and put bright, patterned fabrics on a plain white, grey or cream background. You might get some ideas here: http://www.waterwheelhouse.com/
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 AM

When I get done playing Fairy Godmother, I have two quilts to finish for Christmas. Then I am ging to start Dunster's Diamond Log Cabin. It is going to be a wedding present for my son and his long-term girlfriend. No ring yet or anything, she has to finish Nursing School, but she finishes next summer. So I figured I would get started.

Sorry, I can't be of much help, but I just don't like the modern, watercolour, fabric painting, and stuff quilts. I like the traditional blocks, with a twist. Good luck.