Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House flag >

House flag

House flag

Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 AM

Default House flag

I have a fabric panel that I'm going to use to make a house flag. Not sure what to use for backing and batting. Will hang on door with covered porch. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:27 AM

I would use the same type of fabric for the backing as the front so that both sides shrink more or less evenly when it's washed. With it being outdoors it will probably need washing more often than a quilt.

I'm wondering if using interfacing to stiffen it up a little might help it hang better when it's windy? Sorry, I have no experience with this, but just trying to think of what the issues might be with something hanging on a covered porch.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

If you want to quilt it, use what you would to make a quilt.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 PM

I made something similar and just used a fairly heavy Pellon stablizer and quilted. Since the back hangs against the wall, backing was just something that would shrink about same amount.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:40 AM

Pre-washed muslin or onasburg fabric is what I use for backings on hangings I put on my screened in porch. I also use the onasburg for sample machine embroidery designs, backings on table runners, coasters, etc. It is a surprisingly versatile fabric, introduced to me by a local quilt shop owner. It is inexpensive and quite durable, and easy to work with. It has more "body" than muslin and I especially like it for the backings on wall hangings.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0342283/roc-lon-preshrunk-osnaburg-natural

Old 03-07-2017, 06:08 AM

Onasburg is a great fabric to work with and I use it as an inner layer when I make jackets. It adds a bit of warmth but is lightweight.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Onasburg is a great fabric to work with and I use it as an inner layer when I make jackets. It adds a bit of warmth but is lightweight.
Carolynjo, is your jacket for outside wear in the spring or winter? I'm making a jacket with batting sandwiched between flannel on the outside and inside and the 3 layers are quilted. Am concerned about it being warm in Michigan winters.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 AM

MJKG: Where I live, the winters are moderate. I wear it in winter and rarely wear anything heavier over it. I know my weight jacket would be too light. I would not venture a guess as to how warm it might be where you live.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
MJKG: Where I live, the winters are moderate. I wear it in winter and rarely wear anything heavier over it. I know my weight jacket would be too light. I would not venture a guess as to how warm it might be where you live.
I live near Ann Arbor in SE Michigan. It can get cold here. Will continue to search for additional lining fabric. Thanks for your answer.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Good question....will be interested to the answers.