Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Houston International Quilt Show >
  • Houston International Quilt Show

• Houston International Quilt Show

Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 AM

Cool Houston International Quilt Show

Is anyone from the board going to Houston next week? I am so excited to be going. I have gone to Long Beach before, but understand Houston is the best. A friend and I are going for the entire week. We are taking a couple of classes and doing the shop hop. So much to do in so little time.
    Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 AM
    Power Poster

Just be sure to have a good pair of socks and broken in walking shoes. I went twice to Houston Quilt Market in the mid 90's (held the week before). It is a lot of walking in and out of the convention center. There are some very nice quilt stores in the area. Have FUN!!!
    Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

Have a womderful trip!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Have a wonderful time.
    Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM

One of my good friends(not on the board) is going with her GD!! I am so jealous!!!!!
    Originally Posted by jnagy1206
    Is anyone from the board going to Houston next week? I am so excited to be going. I have gone to Long Beach before, but understand Houston is the best. A friend and I are going for the entire week. We are taking a couple of classes and doing the shop hop. So much to do in so little time.
    Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM

I'm going -- and so excited. I've never been before, but my daughter moved to Houston this summer so a friend and I are going and staying with her. Cannot wait!
    Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Yes, I am going too! It will be my third time but I am so fortunate that my daughter lives in Houston. I shall be on my own which isn't quite as much fun. Yes, wear comfortable clothing and don't forget your credit card! Have fun. Janet
    Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM

I'm going to be there. I'm from Houston and so I go every year. This year is really nice because I'm able to go for three days. Take comfortable walking shoes and comfortable clothes and be sure to have extra room to bring home all the treasures you'll find (although they do have a shipping service so you can send the extras). Bring your camera, too. There are so many beautiful quilts there you won't even believe it! Have fun!
    Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM

You will have so much fun!! Vendor mall is absolutely wonderful!! Make note of the booths that have special items you are interested in -- you won't find them if you go back again! There is so much to see and do -- it's a wonderful place to be inspired!
    Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 PM

I am fortunate that a friend & I have been going to the IQF for the past 5 years.

Some tips:

1. Bring extra really lightweight shopping bags that you can put the stuff you buy in. Last year the fee was $1 to check each bag. It's $1 every time you need to go back & add stuff to one of the bag. There is no fee for retrieving them, but you must have your receipts for the bags.
    2. Vendors do give away those type bags, but better be quick or they will be gone.
    3. Buy a program. It is the absolute best way to find the vendors.
    4. No wheeled carts are allowed in the vendor area. The show personnel have insisted you take them out in prior years.
    5. The Starbucks is on the second floor on the way out to the parking garage. I only visit Starbucks once a year, but I visit it Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. It's a great way to end the day.
    6. There are some bargains to be had Sunday. Think expensive quilt kits, sewing machines, quilting machines, etc
    7. A lot of the show quilts are under a no picture ban and they mean it.
    8. The lunch area looks VERY big, but get there early or wait until later. About noon, the lines get very long.
    9. All the days are crowded. There is no best day to go
    10. You will never see everything, not even all the vendors in a single day.
    11. All the shows back in the theatre area are a lot of fun, especially Eleanor Burns.

Biggest tip: Have fun!!!