Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of buying a new sewing machine >

Thinking of buying a new sewing machine

Thinking of buying a new sewing machine

Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 AM

Default Thinking of buying a new sewing machine

I've done several searches on this board and numerous other sites and am getting more and more confused about machines. What I want is a long harp sewing machine with decorative stitches. No interested in a sewing/embroidery combination. This will replace my trusty Janome HT2008.
A free arm would be nice but not absolutely necessary if it adds too much to the price, as I will be keeping my Brother 6000i. I don't do much in the way of garment sewing these days so the 6000i would suffice for hemming sleeves, slacks, etc.
I have the Brother PQ1500s that is great for free-motion quilting, a Singer 15-91 I use primarily with a walking foot for SID, since I'm too lazy to change the Brother back and forth. I would like a new machine that is also good at FMQ as one of these days I'll need to downsize to just two or three machines.
So, this new machine is for general all-purpose use and to embellish quilts with fancy designs, and possibly FMQ in the future.

I'll be going to a dealer that is only 180 miles away next Friday -- Austin Sew and Vac. They carry Pfaff, Brother, and Janome. When I called I was told they have several used and trade-ins for sale also.
The reason I'd like recommendations here is because of the distance, I only get to the Austin area three or four times a year. If they happen to have a trade in I like, it would be nice to know if folks on this Board knows how they work for various functions.
Price-wise I'd like to stay below $2000.00 but might be willing to go higher for an exceptional machine.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM

Check out the janome 8900. I believe it has everything you're wanting. I love mine
Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want in a machine - that is half the battle! Try out all the machines the dealer has available - you will probably find one that works well for you. Ask the dealer which machine they recommend and why. They will have more answers about the specific machines they have. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Well, I just called the store and they have a sale going on right now on all their machines. The ones he quoted me are:
Pfaff Performance 5.0 -- $2399.00
Janome 8200 -- $2199.00
Janome 8900 -- $2699.00
He also has a trade-in on a Janome 12000 for $3500.00.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I would look for a Janome 6600P -- large harp, decorative stitches, built-in walking foot, price around $1600 new. This machine has more decorative stitches than I would use in a lifetime. I'm not familiar with the pricier models you listed. Your choice may depend on how much machine you want.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 AM

I have a Janome 7700 and love it! Actually, I bought it from that same store!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM

I would go for the Pfaff. You will love the IDT feature. I have 2 Pfaff's and that is my favorite feature of the machines. If you are sewing lots of layers of fabric together, the IDT will breeze right over them. I love it for piecing quilts too. nothing shifts when you sew it. You can't go wrong on a Pfaff. I have had one Pfaff for 18 years and have only done regular maintainence on it. She sews like a dream and she is "high miles"!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 AM

I bought the Janome 8900 in August and I love it. It has all the features I wanted and more. It is super for quilting.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM

The brother dreamweaver VQ3000 is above your price range, but it is an exceptional machine and I recommend you look at it. I have the combo and it has been the best machine I have ever sewn on. it has the muvit foot which is comparable to IDT if not better because the speed is adjustable. You can probably get one for around 3000 if you haggle. it FMQ beautifully, and harp is 11.25 inches, and the laser helps you sew straight, decorative stitches are just gorgeous when sewed out. I have been really impressed with the muvit foot so don't leave the store without trying it out.

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 10-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM

I would first search out as much information on the Internet as you can concerning the brands and models /features you would like. Does the store have a website so you can see their inventory/prices in advance? I would then try them all out and see which feels right. I agree with Mary B119 that the IDT on the Pfaffs is great but she has an older Pfaff-- I have had 2 Pfaffs and IMHO the newer machines are definitely poorer quality than the older ones. Considering how far the store is from you there may not be any advantage from buying there for service/classes so you may want to consider an online store too if there is a brand you might like that the store doesn't have like Bernina or Juki.