Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of buying a new sewing machine >

Thinking of buying a new sewing machine

Thinking of buying a new sewing machine

Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I look at buying a sewing machine just like I would buy a car. Go out and test drive them. That is the only way you can make a solid decision. Hope you have fun and have the time to stop at some quilt shops!!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 AM

I test drove everything I could find 3 years ago and ended up with a Pfaff expression 2.0. I have had no regrets...but I know it is because I tested everything. I had a notebook with me and took notes to compare, and I went to two different stores....all that are available here.

I didn't just sew a little. I changed feet, practiced the automatic threader (which was new to me), listened to how it sounded (didn't want a noisy one), loaded the bobbin, etc. The only thing I didn't consider was the throat size, but I was very new to quilting and didn't really know much. I was just lucky that all the ones I looked at had large throats, I guess.

So, enjoy the hunt, and buy what you want.

Dina
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 AM

I do not see a need for the Pfaff 5.0 for you Because if I am right, I think it is an embroidery machine also. If you are not interested in embroidery, don't get a machine that has that option because you will be paying more. I have a Pfaff Ambition Expression machine that I bought this summer and I love it. There is also a Pfaff 1.5 and a Pfaff 2.0 which have more stitches than mine. These machines have a large harp space. My Pfaff Ambition Expression has more harp space than my Bernina 440 does, and costs way less! IT even cost less than the Bernina 230 I had that I sold after I bought the Pfaff. The Pfaff also has the built in walking foot which I absolutely love! Good luck in yorur search and let us know what you find.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 PM

Thanks all for your comments. No, the Pfaff I listed does not have the embroidery function -- I don't want that as I never used the embroidery machine I just sold. I want to upgrade to one with an 11" harp that has decorative stitches. I just mentioned the ones I did since they will be on sale. That dealer also sells Brother, but when I talked on the phone to him, he mentioned the three I listed as having the features I want. Not sure there is a Brother with an 11" harp that doesn't have the embroidery feature. I don't have the luxury of going to a lot of stores as they are all +/-200 miles from me (except Singer which I know I don't want). The only reason I can go to this one is I have an appt. in a town close to there.
At any rate, if anyone has any other comments and suggestions, especially on how these or other similar machines might do with FMQ as well as general sewing, I would be most grateful. I do remember that some Janomes (6600/7700?) had problems with FMQ. But the newer ones may have fixed that.