Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How about "Cut Throat Quilter"? I'd watch it >

How about "Cut Throat Quilter"? I'd watch it

How about "Cut Throat Quilter"? I'd watch it

Old 10-21-2015, 02:21 PM
RST

Default How about "Cut Throat Quilter"? I'd watch it

My son and I got hooked on a TV show called Cut-Throat Kitchen -- a spin on a cooking show where contestants are given 60 seconds in the pantry to collect everything they will need for the specified dish. Then, in the course of the show, they can "purchase" restrictions or hardships to inflict on other chefs or better their own chances. It make for some interesting and creative cooking, and it's a fun show to watch.

Of course, I envision a variation for quilters -- you have 60 seconds in a fabric closet to grab everything you need to make a given block or style of quilt, then you proceed to your cutting table or machine and set out to make a block, only to have another contestant slap you with a restriction like-- no rotary tools. Or a substitution where everyone's pretty fabrics are swapped out for really ugly stuff. I'd not only watch a show like that, I'd compete ; )
Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I am not a fan of Cutthroat Kitchen but I would certainly watch "Cutthroat Quilters". Think I would pick ugly fabric to make it more interesting especially if had t swap with someone who had really nice fabric. Reminds me of a game I have seen on a couple quilt shows, maybe Eleanor's. Each person has a yard of fabric or so but same amount, they pass it on to the onenext to them and sometimes back and forth etc. Then they had to make something with the fabrics they had. They also cut the fabric. Can't rmember the game for the life of me but it was funny.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:37 PM
RST

I think it could be grand. What about a big wheel, as in Wheel of Fortune, and you spin to find out -- will you have a mandatory use of trapunto, or will you get use of a go cutter and all the dies your little heart could desire? Will you be given a huge pile of unwashed t-shirts and frayed jeans and told to make a queen sized quilt? Or will you get your hands on a lovely stack of coordinated fat quarters?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Lol, that does sound like a fun show. I'd watch it!!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Oh no! I think you are being far sweeter than the kinds of stunts they pull on Cutthroat Kitchen. I'd imagine the quilting edition would have contestants do things like make a quilt from muddy fabric or cut all your pieces while riding a teeter totter. Not my cup of tea (ohhh, or having to carry a cup of tea in your left hand while making the entire quilt using only your right hand).

I just never got into that show in spite of usually loving cooking shows. It just seems so unfair to me. You can be a really awesome cook but get these ridiculous obstacles thrown at you and end up losing to someone who barely knows how to stir a pot. I once saw someone spend his entire "bank" buying obstacles to use against the other contestants. He was declared the winner, but went home with nothing. So strange. Glad you like it, but I don't get it.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

Not my idea of a fun show to watch.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

There was a Iron Quilter like contest somewhere but not on tv. I read a little about it online. I think Edyta Sitar and Anita Grossman Solomon were part of it.

I enjoy Cutthroat Kitchen. The contestants are the type that do want the challenges. That's the fun of it. Everyone knows each one is a good chef before they get chosen to be on the show. I think they should be given all their money back if they win, not just the leftover they have. With two little ones in the house during the day, Sprout and Foodnetwork channels are the only two that I know are completely kid safe any time the tv is turned on.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-22-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I hate to watch some of these shows because sometimes the contestants implode from all that pressure. Life has enough ups and downs for me.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:49 AM
RST

Well, it's not unfair in that they are not taking sweet, unassuming cooks out of their own kitchens and subjecting them to mean circumstances -- anyone playing is pretty well aware of what they're up against.

I like a contest in which the key is their ability to shift gears in the moment, make do with adverse circumstances or reversals, and deal with the what-is rather than the what-I-want-it-to-be. I think that often points to the true skill -- having so much creativity and skill that you can pull a credible end result out of less than perfect ingredients and tools.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Well, it's not unfair in that they are not taking sweet, unassuming cooks out of their own kitchens and subjecting them to mean circumstances -- anyone playing is pretty well aware of what they're up against.

I like a contest in which the key is their ability to shift gears in the moment, make do with adverse circumstances or reversals, and deal with the what-is rather than the what-I-want-it-to-be. I think that often points to the true skill -- having so much creativity and skill that you can pull a credible end result out of less than perfect ingredients and tools.
I think that's what some of us call "life" or "living" or "coping"