Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Applique >

How to Applique

How to Applique

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM

I have never done any applique on a quilt, but would like to learn. What would be the simplest method to applique and do I always need to use freezer paper?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Google Goddess

I will find you some links
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM

I just read about a new method where you don't need the freezer paper. You trace the design on the WRONG side of your foundation. You then cut a piece of fabric large enough to add 1/4" to the part you are going to applique and baste it on carefully following the lines traced on the back using a LARGE needle. You then turn your fabric to the right side trim to 1/4" around the basting and remove the basting a little at a time as you applique. The needle marks from using the large needle gives you a guide to turn the fabric under.

I haven't tried it but sounds like a foolproof and easier method to me.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

I think machine applique with a fusible is easy :thumbup:

Here is how I do it http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-77851-1.htm
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM

I use fusible then machine or hand sew.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 PM

I use fusible and machine..has always worked for me...easier.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM

I just made my first applique project. I used the freezer paper, but my direction book also explained the method of basting from the back. It's more like the regular turned needle without all of the marking. I might make a practice piece trying that method now. It's easier than I thought, especially using a fine needle, short pins and silk thread. Machine applique can be challenging because you need to have the needle in a outside down position to pivot around corners. It's not portable either, but centainly is an option if you like that look in your finished piece.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 AM

I love to hand applique using the needleturn method. Find it very relaxing. The best things about needleturn is very light weight so can do in summer without overheating :shock: and I can take it anywhere I go and always have something to work on. Besides, I love the look of hand work.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

you only have to use freezer paper if you are doing needle turn hand applique; some people use fusable, some do machine applique...there are lots of different techniques; what kind of applique do you want to start with?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I just read about a new method where you don't need the freezer paper. You trace the design on the WRONG side of your foundation. You then cut a piece of fabric large enough to add 1/4" to the part you are going to applique and baste it on carefully following the lines traced on the back using a LARGE needle. You then turn your fabric to the right side trim to 1/4" around the basting and remove the basting a little at a time as you applique. The needle marks from using the large needle gives you a guide to turn the fabric under.

I haven't tried it but sounds like a foolproof and easier method to me.
some girls in our guild swear by this method...I couldn't get the hang of it but I think it would be extremely accurate...I do needle turn and iron my templates on freezer paper and then cut out 1/4". I also trace my pattern on the FRONT of the background fabric with eraseable pen.