Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Applique >

How to Applique

How to Applique

Old 02-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the info, I haven't started an applique project yet, but will use your suggestions when I do. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I just read about a new method where you don't need the freezer paper. You trace the design on the WRONG side of your foundation. You then cut a piece of fabric large enough to add 1/4" to the part you are going to applique and baste it on carefully following the lines traced on the back using a LARGE needle. You then turn your fabric to the right side trim to 1/4" around the basting and remove the basting a little at a time as you applique. The needle marks from using the large needle gives you a guide to turn the fabric under.

I haven't tried it but sounds like a foolproof and easier method to me.
this is the method I use. I've done this way for a good number of years already and I think it is wonderful. I get really perfect curves with it. And, the clincher is, I can do it on my daily commute on the NYC subway system. I don't take more than lap space, so don't care if someone is sitting right up next to me. I try to sew and trim the pieces to be appliqued at home, the evening before, but can also do this fairly easily on the subway. If you need help/advice, etc. feel free to pm me!

Laurie
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Check your library, too, for books on applique. My mom bought me an Alex Anderson book on applique that explains both machine and hand methods pretty clearly. Right now I like using fusible with a machine buttonhole stitch, but I've done hand applique too with freezer paper, and it's not bad either. But just depends on what look you want.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Try Karen Kay Buckley's book/s. That is how I learned. She is great.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 AM

When I machine applique, I use a fusible and for hand applique I do the old fashioned needle turn.