Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to attach a hanging sleeve to a quilt? I hate hand sewing! >

How to attach a hanging sleeve to a quilt? I hate hand sewing!

How to attach a hanging sleeve to a quilt? I hate hand sewing!

Old 03-10-2017, 04:42 AM

Default How to attach a hanging sleeve to a quilt? I hate hand sewing!

Hi there,
Is there a fast an easy way to attach a hanging sleeve to a wall hanging quilt? I just hate to hand sew, I'm not good at this and it takes me about an hour to do it. Is there any other way? I would love to be able to do it with my sewing machine.
Thanks!
Annie
Old 03-10-2017, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

If it only takes you an hour to sew on a hanging sleeve count your blessings! some people machine sew the top part of the sleeve on when they do their binding but you must do the bottom part by hand, otherwise your stitches will show on the right side of the quilt.

There are many tutes on the net. Just Google "how to attach a hanging sleeve to a quilt" and you will get many hits.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:04 AM

If you aren't putting it in a show, hanging tabs are quick and easy. But unfortunately, they are hand sewn also.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:19 AM

I've hung quilts with the sleeve method for years and agree that it is labor intensive--but a couple years ago I decided to try the wooden clips that are sold for this purpose. They are wonderful. It's 2 pieces of wood. One attaches to the wall and the other attaches to that with a screw that encloses the edge of the quilt. For a big quilt you need 5. I change my quilts seasonally and this is really much easier.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:53 AM

I forgot to say that I mainly do small wall hanging quilts (36 X 45 ). Since those are commission quilts, I want a "fool proof" hanging system that will not require too much handling by my customer.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
If it only takes you an hour to sew on a hanging sleeve count your blessings! some people machine sew the top part of the sleeve on when they do their binding but you must do the bottom part by hand, otherwise your stitches will show on the right side of the quilt.

There are many tutes on the net. Just Google "how to attach a hanging sleeve to a quilt" and you will get many hits.

Well, at least I would save one line of sewing :-) I was hoping someone in this forum may have discovered a clever method :-) So many talented and inventive ladies here!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Well, at least I would save one line of sewing :-) I was hoping someone in this forum may have discovered a clever method :-) So many talented and inventive ladies here!
When I did the search I did come across one tute from Bernina that used a blind hem stitch to sew it on. She stated the stitches were not on the front . You will need to be very careful when using this method to ensure you are catching only the backing fabric when doing this method. If these are commission pieces I would not do it this way but you could experiment with a couple of your own.

http://weallsew.com/easy-diy-quilt-h...ly-by-machine/
Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 AM

Put some invisible thread into your machine's BOBBIN. Set the stitch to its longest length. Attach both top and bottom of the hanging sleeve to the back of your quilt by machine. I did this with 6 of my quilts for our Guild show. Easy to do and just as easy to remove later.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:50 AM

I have an older magazine that shows the blind hem stitch method like the one referred to above, I would give that a try but on practice pieces first until you get good at it. I am challenged w/the blind hem stitch for my dresses so I can imagine it would take some practice for a quilt.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 AM

I suppose you could sew the sleeve onto the backing first before you layer the quilt, but would have to be very careful to keep it in the right place!