Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you attach hanging loops/sleeve to quilt once it is bound?

How do you attach hanging loops/sleeve to quilt once it is bound?

I have a smaller quilt here (maybe 45 by 35 inches) that I would like to hang on the wall. It is a flag quilt so I do not want to use quilt hangers. That is how I usually hang up my wall quilts. Is there a way to attach a hanging sleeve/ fabric hoops etc to a quilt once it is bound? Should I use round wooden rings and sew them to the back? Would the quilt backing not rip from the weight of the quilt?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Great quilt! I will be following this thread.

I sew hanging sleeves on most of my quilts after I sew the binding down. The sleeves are tubes about 6 inches wide x 2 inches shorter than the quilt. I place the top of the tube about 1 inch down from the top of the quilt, whip stitch it, then sew the bottom.

I have two quilts that have hung in my office for over 10 years - the backing hasn't ripped yet, and the quilts are queen size.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts View Post
    Great quilt! I will be following this thread.
    Thank you; it is an X-block pattern called "Flying Free". I did make up my own borders, did not care for the ones in the pattern

Blog Entries
    great quilt. when there is a defined border, as you have, i pin the right side of the sleeve fabric to the back and then SITD from the front. that attaches it firmly and it's one seam i don't have to hand sew
    then i hand sew the bottom of the sleeve to the back.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I prefer having the sleeve in the binding and machine stitch to the quilt but your is lighter and will probably be ok if you carefully stitch it down with lots of small stitches on both sides of the sleeve. I have had to do this sometimes when I hadn't expected to enter the quilt in a quilt show.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    You can attach a sleeve with fusible web or fabric glue. I have attached sleeves after a quilt is completely done making a tube and attaching with the fusible web
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I do it the same as Janet (Hinterland). In the past I've sewn the top edge into the binding, but have discovered that if you do this, the hanging sleeve will be visible from the front. So I drop it down a couple of inches.

QuiltnNan has a great idea with the SID.

Glad to know there is a way to do by machine. The last one I did, I did it all by hand. It is hanging pretty nicely in son and daughter in law's foyer. Next time I will do it by machine.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I cut mine 9 inches, fold and stitch a tube. finish ends too. then I always hand stitch just under the binding, then take the tube/sleeve and fold up to just under the top edge of the quilt and flatten out the sleeve and pin the bottom where it lays and hand stitch that down. the "extra" you got from the little folding will help the hanger you insert not pull on the quilt. all should hand well. I think I remembered to machine stitch the sleeve on one quilt. I always think of it too late.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

The one I have done, I made the hanging loops like for tab top drapes then I machine stitched the folded seam edge right below the binding - sort of stitch in the ditch. It was sort of bulky and the next time I just did it at the same time as attaching the binding.