Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to cut a 6.5" strip?

[QUOTE]
    Check the measurements on your mat. If they are pretty close, you can use those lines. Start with a straight edge with the fabric at zero and put your ruler at the 6.5" mark.
    /QUOTE]

Never even thought of doing it that way! I read somewhere early on that you should never use the lines on your cutting mat for measuring your fabric cuts, so being the obedient soul that I am, I never have. Noticed Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Co. using her cutting mat lines on a recent video. It also looks like she does more ironing than pressing. All of it sure seems to work for her!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always use the marks on my mat. They may be off but they are consistently off so everything fits.

Quote Originally Posted by jeank View Post
    I would take another ruler, short is ok. line up the 1/2" mark, butt the 6" long ruler up to it, then cut.
    This is what I do and have done it for years. Learned this before the proliferation of different sized rulers
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I have butted up rulers when I had to cut 171/2" or larger pieces for setting triangles or whatever and tape them together with blue painter's tape. I tape where they touch each other, front and back and put tape on the line I need to use.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2