Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you get over fear of FMQ? >

How did you get over fear of FMQ?

How did you get over fear of FMQ?

Old 10-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I fmq practice on my 401 and gradually do a larger sandwich. Dh sees the sandwiches and asked what kind of quilt is that. Told him it's a practice. So he got in on it. Smart aleck is really good!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I fmq practice on my 401 and gradually do a larger sandwich. Dh sees the sandwiches and asked what kind of quilt is that. Told him it's a practice. So he got in on it. Smart aleck is really good!
Men are better at most things.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 AM

1. Mark out your quilt with Crayola Ultra Clean markers/crayons (or something similar).
2. Buy a Darning/FMQ foot for your machine
3. Invest in some Machinger's quilting gloves (you need Saddle Soap to clean them -- avail. at Target)
4. Use 50 wt thread that matches the background
5. Practice on something small -- changing pad, pet quilt, etc
6. Just do it!

Your first attempts are not going to be great. That's just how it is. I saw one quilting teacher who suggested it takes 8 hours to learn to do anything that looks decent. I think that's true. And it probably takes about that again when you work on the next design.

Here's my first attempt. It's not perfect, but I pulled out very few stitches. The only times I unsewed was if (1) the stitches didn't form so I had loops, (2) if the stitches were so tiny they were puckering the fabric, or (3) if the stitches were at least 3x the size of the target stitch size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534611[/ATTACH]

The white/pink is done with the white all over stipple. I created a leafy vine for the outer border that I did in a variegated blue. Can't even see it at all. Gotta love busy fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails aubrey-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Trying to follow exactly on a line it is hard to keep your speed and hand movements good.
True, but remember that all those lines will come out in the wash, so they're only meant to be a guide anyways. Unless you're trying to quilt a straight line, no one will ever know that you veered off what you drew except for you.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:16 AM

No one is going to know you didn't follow a line exactly once the quilt is washed, as the lines won't be there.
People that don't quilt, don't tend to "inspect" every little stitch to see if it is "perfect" anyway.. so don't stress over it.
If it is a quilt that is intended to be used, as opposed to a "show" quilt or wall hanging, where people can "stare" at it and look over every little stitch, it isn't going to matter if everything isn't "perfect".
You can't get good at something if you don't do it over and over.
Not every quilt needs to have elaborate quilting... simple designs are nice too.
Don't expect to do as well as someone else who has been doing it for awhile, when you are just starting out. EVERYONE had to start at some point, and there aren't too many people that are "good" the first time they try something... they all had to keep doing it to get better.
Don't let fear stop you from trying something new.... embrace the fear and stare it in the face and do it anyway!!!! What do you have to lose, other than some fabric, batting, thread and a bit of time... compared to what you have to gain... experience, a new skill and FUN!!
Old 10-31-2015, 09:23 AM

I'm very new at FMQ. Haven't done a quilt yet. I'm still at the practice sandwiches
which really helps. If you practice everyday you will notice how you improve gradually.
Don't start with feathers, that's for later. First try making some simple loops..different shape, etc.
Simple stuff and work your way up. Have fun.
I have a few books on FMQ but concentrated on Free Motion Quilting Made Easy by Eva Larkin
then moved to other fun stuff like Leah Day, etc.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I made about a dozen practice sandwiches out of muslin and batting, each about 16" square. Figured I could serge the edges and use them for pet cushions later. Having these available to me cut down on the intimidation factor as I knew there were lots available and each one was pretty small. I gave myself permission to mess them up as pets honestly don't care about what they look like! Worked for me.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM

I'm working my way out of being scared of FMQ. What I did was buy some fat quarters (not anything special of fancy) and then some packaged batting (in like the craft or crib size). Then all I did was sandwich 1/2 of the fat quarter, some batting, and the other half of the fat quarter. Bam! You have a perfect area to practice free motion quilting!
Old 10-31-2015, 10:52 AM

Bottom line is........ I'm chicken.
Of sewing on fabric? Why?
Old 10-31-2015, 11:30 AM

Get some dark solid fabric 0R some not-too-busy fabric that you're not crazy about and make a few 18-20" sandwiches. (Anything smaller and you'll feel inhibited.) Solid (or not busy prints) help you see your stitches. Try stippling first. Try bubbles--they're fun. Try your name. Try some hearts, daisies, simple shapes, just letting yourself feel the freedom of free motion. Think like a child--they don't stress when just doodling . I was chicken to work n anything "good" until I had played a lot with practice sandwiches. Then I made doll quilts (about 18x20") for charity and approached each one thinking "I'll do my best, the best I can do right now, and the next one will be my best next time." You do have to practice to get muscle memory. Have a blast. It's just fabric and thread.

i wear cheap garden gloves that fit snugly to help grab the fabric.