Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you get over fear of FMQ? >

How did you get over fear of FMQ?

How did you get over fear of FMQ?

Old 10-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Gracious sakes - scared? Of what? A bad result will not result in prison time!!!
Old 10-31-2015, 12:32 PM

I understand being somewhat scared but think of it as learning to ride a bike. Someone can tell you all day long how to do it, but until you try ... and fall a few times ... you will never learn. I'm still struggling too and get frustrated and quit for awhile but I really want to learn FMQ ... so I bite the bullet and try again. I have some people tell me to go as fast as I can, but that doesn't work for me. So I just lower my speed and work on getting a rhythm of the pattern. Once I'm comfortable with that, then my stitches get a little better.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:58 PM

The very first quilt I did FMQ on was for a very special great grandson. It was an Antique Teddy Bear panel which I outlined, but there was large areas of nothingness all around the bears, so I jumped in with meandering. It came out absolutely beautiful and is very much treasured. Meandering to me looks like puzzle pieces, so I just pictured it in my mind and moved the quilt to make those designs. My knees were knocking so loudly they probably could have heard them in the northeast!! I did it though! It was a sink or swim for me because I had a rigid deadline!! Good luck! It's really fun once you stop being so frightened by it! :-)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

By working on stuff I didn't care about. First just practice blocks, then community service quilts. Pretty sure the kids in hospitals won't look critically at my quilting stitches. It just takes time and practice.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 PM

Sign up for Lori Kennedy's "Divide and Conquer' Craftsy class. You'll soon have confidence by the bucketful.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 PM

I want to FMQ so bad but I am still dealing with the fear of the unknown. A dear friend also has a LAQ machine and has offered to teach me how to use it but I'm afraid I will screw up her machine. Guess until I get my nerve up I will continue playing in the ditch.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by helou View Post
I agree Do some hot pads and placemats with scraps for you to keep. You might be surprised and it will give you lots of practice.
I used scraps to make a throw quilt for me and while trying QAYG and using scraps, I practiced FMQ and one of my friend fell in love with it with all the imperfections there was in it. So she got the quilt LOll
My first FMQ's were panel baby quilts. I practiced by just doing stitch in the ditch free hand first. Next I just went around everything several times and filled in with stippling. Then I started using all kinds of designs starting with teardrops. It just takes lots of practice. I love doing feathers now and it all started with a first time that wasn't great. Don't be afraid, just jump in with both feet and have fun. I quilt on a Bernina 830 now but started with a 18 year old Bernina 1530.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:45 PM

Not fear, so much as perfectionism not being met!
Old 10-31-2015, 11:24 PM

Okay, this is the second attempt at FMQ. My first attempt was about nine months ago and was even worse than this!

Having a cabinet for a flat surface helps. I'll make time to practice from now on-maybe study different designs or create one. Just kind of goofing around here. Kind of like writing with thread.
Attached Thumbnails fmq-sample.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 PM

And yes, I know it's dreadful! 😄😄😄

I'll keep practicing.