Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern? >

How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 AM

Default Judy Neimeyer

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Just the name Judy Neimeyer strikes fear in the hearts of many a quilters.............

But she has such an eye for color combinations and patterns. It was a good thing I didn't know much about her when I ordered my JN pattern (avatar). I consider myself an able quilter--not excellent by any stretch of the imagination, but able. I learn something new with each quilt and I read, study, search the internet and of course this board for tips and answers when I'm confused or blocked. I'm not intimidated by anything I haven't tried before. So have fun, and enjoy the experience and you'll be rewarded by a beautiful quilt and an enormous sense of satisfaction and pride in your accomplishment.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM

I have good friends who have done a number of Judy's quilts. They love her patterns. According to them Judy's instructions are excellent and easy too follow. Everything is done in great detail. They have never had a problem with her quilts coming out perfect. According to both of them, Judy's instructions are better than any other similar patterns. You say you're a good quilter--I say go for it. If it looks overwhelming, just do small sections at a time.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM

I have started three of her patterns. It is definitely a matter of just following her directions and doing things in order of how they are written. I have had the opportunity and pleasure of taking Judy's classes twice (one for Bali Wedding Star and one for Christmas Celebrations). She is a great teacher and gives great tips on how to handle her patterns.

Judy now has some videos on her website. My only reason for not finishing is getting sidetracked with other projects. I really do need to finish these wonderful patterns. I have one I need to finish for my Mom for her new place.

You sound as if you should have enough confidence to make this project. As far as colors go, you don't have to pick what Judy has used. Several of my classmates were making that quilt in entirely different fabrics that what were on the box.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM

Do you need to know the basics of paper piecing, or does she include instructions for that in the pattern?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

Too hard for me
Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 AM

As Marrianne Fons said this morning - we all start as beginners, quickly move to intermediate, and few move to master (not an exact quote). As the instructions say this is master. So any of you trying it! You go girl!!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 AM

I have the Mariner Compass pattern. I need to pick the colors and get started. I have been eyeing it ever since they showed it. I love paper piecing. I have 1 more UFO to get out of the way first. Glad to hear that if you follow the instructions they aren't too bad. I love to paper piece.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:27 AM

I love her patterns but have decided it's too much to invest until I get some of my UFOs completed. Since I don't seem to be making very much progress in that effort, it may be a long time until I try one.... They sure are beautiful though so holding off may well be one of those ideas that sound good but won't last. Joyce in Delaware
Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

It is for the experienced with a lot of patience...
Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by localgirl1 View Post
omg too hard for me
Ditto for this reply. I know where that would end up, in the back of the sewing room shelf unfinished, that's where. But you may be more careful and like paper pieced and I don't. Good luck! It's a beautiful challenging pattern.