Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I do this - create the missing parts of these pieces

Blog Entries
    I got these amazing 4 pc stars in a scrap bundle. I wanted to make them into this pattern but I'm not sure how to determine what size to make the mid-pieces (in my sad example below the made up pieces are off-white)

I tried to guess and hand sewed them together and it's kind of wonky.

Any advice?

This is the pattern I'm trying to duplicate
    Name:  Attachment-189572.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  101.2 KB

Here was my sad attempt
    Name:  Attachment-189573.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  32.4 KB

I would measure the cut edges and subtract for seam allowance. Then i would draft it on graph paper to size. You can either make templates to cut out or fiddle with cutting shapes with your rotary cutter.

Power Poster
    No it's not so sad. It just looks like it needs to be pressed. Each one you do will get better!
    Keep showing us your progress!

Blog Entries
    Place the block on your printer and make a copy. Then cut out each piece and add a seam allowance! I did this once and it worked great!!

Good Luck!!

How about making a template from mylar using your sample. You can see through the mylar to trace each piece. When you trace the templates on your fabric, you will need to add 1/4" seam allowances all around. Put dots 1/4" from points so that you know when to stop sewing when sewing the pieces together.

Check out, (I think this is Rhonda's) http://www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com/p...ointBlocks.php

Blog Entries
    I find a little starch on the fabric helps to stabilize those bias cuts, even with hand piecing :wink: :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    Place the block on your printer and make a copy. Then cut out each piece and add a seam allowance! I did this once and it worked great!!

Good Luck!!
    Smart!!! A- for you today only because you didn't say scan it. Not all printers are capable of scanning.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone - great ideas! I do not have the one I'm trying to duplicate - but I'll remember those tips for the next time I do this.

Ok, I'll keep trying... and posting updates. I think I have 600 of these little stars anyway. And plenty of little junky ones too.

One thing that l believe you did in your sample, it looks like you sewed into your seam allowance. This block appears to have set in seams. You have to stop 1/4" from each corner so you can set in the abutting seam. It looks like you may have sewn all the way to the edge of your fabric. Each unit, where it meets has a set in seam by the looks of things.

Try to find instructions on doing a traditional Tumbling blocks with a set in seam as the pattern appears to have a similar construction. The book Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! has good pictures and diagrams to show how you do it. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast