Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do I figure yardage? >
  • How do I figure yardage?

• How do I figure yardage?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM
    Power Poster

How big is the project that you are writing directions for?

A potholder - king size quilt - coin purse - table runner?

I think I would also resort to using graph paper to calculate the amount of fabric needed. Start with the finished project and then work backwards to see what you actually used.

I am not sure how much "extra" to factor in when writing up the instruction.

I think for those that work with scraps, it is a challenge to think in yardage.

For those that do not work with scraps, and only think in yards or fat quarters, I can also see where "get a basket of scraps" would be a challenging directive.

I can do either - but for some odd reason, when I get directions to cut x number of y width strips, and then cut so many squares - I would prefer that the instructions go straight to: cut so many of Fabric A - starting with the largest pieces first, and then go to Fabric B

I do cut strips first, and then cut the strips into smaller pieces -

You might consider having a couple of people test your pattern to see if there are any glitches and to see if what you meant is what was understood.

It is very difficult to write something that is impossible to misunderstand.

I consider myself to be a medium watt lightbulb on the tree, and still totally amaze myself at times at how dense I am.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-14-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    Old 09-14-2016, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

When starting with strips, it's best to start with the widest strip. You can always subcut to smaller IF you make a booboo. I would figure on how many pieces I get out of each strip and add it all together.
    Old 09-14-2016, 11:42 AM
    Power Poster

I would have to get help. I have a yardage calculator saved in favorites and one printed chart I keep in my sewing room with some patterns in a small binder (1 1/2"). Other patterns are in the project boxes. Good Luck!
    Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 PM

There I an app by Robert Kauffman that is VERY helpful for finding all kinds of yardage needs, from backings to bindings, and it will also tell you how many things you can cut from a piece of fabric.
    Old 09-20-2016, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I am learning slowly. I have a couple of friends helping me in the meantime til I get a better handle on this.

I have used my EQ to help me figure yardage. I am just always worried I am shorting the numbers or something. LOL
    Old 09-21-2016, 07:42 PM

I wrote a free pattern for the LQS and boy was that hard! the biggest problem is the yardage and making up diagrams so that those that don't do as well with written directions can focus on the diagrams. I'd strongly suggest that you have a friend actually make the project from your directions once finished to test the accuracy--my friend and I both did this with the patterns we wrote for a shop hop and we both caught some measurement "oops!".