Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I figure yardage? >

How do I figure yardage?

How do I figure yardage?

Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Default How do I figure yardage?

My weakest area is figuring yardage. I am working on writing free patterns and I am having a hard time figuring out how to do the yardage. For me I'm a miniaturist and don't need to figure out yardage for myself. but I was told most quilters want to cut strips and then subcut. this is not how I do things. so I am trying to figure out a way to do the math without taking 4 or 5 days to work through it all. LOL

I understand cutting the strips and then subcutting. But where I have a problem is how do I figure a strip if it has 2 diff size cuts in one strip. say I need 4 cuts that are 3" and then I have this long strip left. so I need to cut the rest at 4" how do I present that on paper?

Is there an easy way to figure the overall yardage needed?
Any tips that would make this easier to figure?

I'm always afraid I am going to leave the yardage short and people will complain!!!
I hate figuring yardage!!! It is the bane of my life rt now LOL but if I want to write patterns then it is a necessary evil LOL I have several I wrote in the past but this strip thing just came up recently. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how to write it up.

Thanks to anyone who has any tips
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Wow, great question! EQ7 can figure out overall yardage but not cutting instructions. I have no idea how to do that. I will watch for more replies to this question.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Because I did a lot of garment construction, I'm a big fan of a cutting diagram. Clothing patterns show how to layout the pieces for the best use of your fabric. I would draw up a diagram of the fabric, and cutting lines, and number the lines in the order they should be cut. As far as yardage, I would figure out the exact amount needed, add 2 inches for squaring, then round up to the next 1/8 yard. Also, for smaller amounts, I would indicate if a FQ would work instead of a yardage cut.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 AM

If you're working on miniatures, how about going with fat quarters. In most shops I've been in it is the smallest you can purchase. You can always keep track of what you use and if you have a lot left, you could say a 10 x 10 or whatever size you need for those of us that work from our stash.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I would figure the strip cut at 4" ( I always start with largest first, then the left overs can be cut down to the smaller size needs.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:05 PM

If you are writing commercial patterns then I suggest you get a partner who can do the yardage. I don't believe you can rely on a forum such as this, regardless of the vast knowledge here, to provide the information you need.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Hi Rhonda - Google quilt calculators and you will get a zillion hits. I have used web quilter for a simple quilt design and I just had a look at their calculator - which seemed accurate for the binding on a small baby quilt. Maybe check a few to see if you are getting consistent results and find one that you are comfortable using. That said - I like the figuring numbers part of quilting and I would be happy to help you with simple designs - curves, precuts, and non hst angles would be something I would definitely consider - but I am not as confident when I leave the simple part behind. I have noticed the many tutorials that you have generously shared - pm me if I can help.
Lefty - looking forward to the PNQE quilt show - in Philly
Old 09-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I appreciate your taking time to answer. I will keep your suggestions in mind. I'd like to do it myself but I have thought about having someone who is good at figuring it and likes doing it take over doing that part for me.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Start with a piece of graph paper and a large cup of coffee. Take your time and sketch out some strips WOF in pen and then use a pencil to mark off pieces. You should find that as you do it, it will start to make sense. Don't try to figure things too exact. Leave some extra at end of strips (also figure WOF at 40" because of different fabrics and selvages). Don't hurry yourself and you should start to see how it all works. Take one block and mark those pieces up and then do a second and maybe a third. Now you should see how they fit into the strips and you can multiply to figure how much for 8 blocks, 12 blocks, 16 blocks, etc. Look at the small picture instead of the whole thing to start and you won't overwhelm yourself. (Also, try this out with a very simple block like a split rail until you see the way it works.) Good luck.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 AM

On the several quilts I've actually "designed", and using graph paper, I start by calculating the pieces in each block then multiply by the number of blocks. For simple two-color nine-patches using 2-1/2" cut squares, five dark and four light. Dark = 5 x 2.5" = 12.5" x 2.5" strip x number of blocks. Light = 10" x 2.5" strip x number of blocks. I always add up to the next (at least) quarter yard. Sashing and cornerstones are calculated the same way. Borders and binding calculated separately in the same manner.

But this is my way and not shared with anyone else!