Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I make this block unit? >

How do I make this block unit?

How do I make this block unit?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM

I love two sites I learned of here. The combination works for your block although I did't try it. Lynn Wilder's site explains how to do your block ( sewnwildoaks.blogspot.com ). Go to BlocLoc.com and click on Rulers on the header, then bloc loc FG Square up Rulers, then to No Waste FG method. Combining the two sites, measurements would be four small squares 3 1/8" X 3 1/8", one large square 5 1/2 X 5 1/2", and eight 2 1/2 X 2 1/2" squares.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks, Maureen. I have the BlocLoc rulers for half-square triangles and use them all the time, but I wasn't aware of the FG rulers. I have Deb Tucker's Wing Clippers for FG. She uses the same no waste method, but her square up ruler is used for multiple sizes rather than BlocLoc's various sizes of rulers. I went to the sewnwildoaks blog, but couldn't locate the instructions for the block. Really neat blog, though.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Question Freezer paper method

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
Hi, Geri -- I'm a little addicted to paper piecing and should have thought of that before I started the thread. I drew the paper piece templates and finished the units that evening. I use the freezer paper method, so I never sew through the paper and I don't have to worry about stretching the fabric. I pretty much cut my pieces hither and yon!
I haven't done any paper piecing and have gotten the urge to try but I have never heard of the freezer paper method, How is this done? What is different it sounds like it is a lot easier with no paper to rip out. Can you print blocks with the freezer paper.?

There are too many new ideas on this board I'll never get to most of them but ths I want to try my hand at.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM

There are lots of tutorials on line. This is the one I like: http://www.twiddletails.com/images/FPFtute/FPFTute.pdf
I order letter-size freezer paper and it goes through my printer with no problems, but some people use regular freezer paper on a roll and cut it letter size. I believe they then iron it to regular printer paper before they feed it through the printer. You can also trace the patterns on freezer paper. Google paper piecing patterns for tons of free patterns. Long story short, you fold back the paper along the stitching line and sew beside the paper rather than on it. That'll make a lot more sense when you look at the tutorial.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 PM

On Lynn Wilder's site, in the header, click on virtual classroom. First thing is HST but scroll down and you will come to double FG. Good luck with your project.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks, Maureen. I'll take a look at it now. The project is done.