Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help-size of geese unit for finished 12" block? >

help-size of geese unit for finished 12" block?

help-size of geese unit for finished 12" block?

Old 10-19-2014, 03:05 AM

Question help-size of geese unit for finished 12" block?

Hello, friends!

Newbie here, with a question or two regarding a Dutchman's Puzzle block I am making. This block, of course, consists of 8 "flying geese" units - and after reviewing the various methods from this website, I am preparing myself to use one of the "no-waste" techniques. What a great collection of sewing strategies - I am so glad to receive the ideas from this website! Thanks to all who contribute!

My questions on this topic are specifically about dimensions of fabric. From what I gather, in order to create a finished 12" Dutchman's Puzzle block, each of the 8 finished-size flying geese units must be rectangles that are 3"x6". I know this must seem incredibly obvious, but as I mention - I am truly a newbie!

So, the unfinished size of each FG unit must be 3-1/2"x6-1/2" - correct? That's my essential question about this part of my project. Whether or not I understand the size that includes my all-important 1/4" seam allowances!!

FWIW, this is the technique I will try out for this project - got the link from here, just wanted to let you all know what I'm planning: http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...lt-blocks.html
And, I downloaded the companion cutting chart which seems very helpful for a newbie!
http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/support-files/flying-geese-3-no-waste.pdf

Thanks for reading and helping!

Adam
Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 AM

Yes you are right... 3.5 by 6.5 unfinished size...that method is great ..I used it last night...just be careful when you are trimming it to size....a little tricky....the point of the geese should be at 3.25 inches...from either side...plus you need you 1/4 inch seam...I hope I haven't confused you...
Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella View Post
Yes you are right... 3.5 by 6.5 unfinished size...that method is great ..I used it last night...just be careful when you are trimming it to size....a little tricky....the point of the geese should be at 3.25 inches...from either side...plus you need you 1/4 inch seam...I hope I haven't confused you...
Tella,
no - your notes were not confusing - I am being very aware of always keeping that 1/4" seam allowance in everything I am planning - especially since I am just beginning!

and thanks a bunch!

Adam
Old 10-19-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

yes, those are the correct dimensions. As Tellabella mentioned, trimming is the all important step. You want the point of the triangle to be 1/4" from the edge and the seams on the other side to run right thru the point of the rectangle. If you sew with the correct seam allowance, your block will go together well. If you haven't verified your seam allowance, you might want to check it. Here's a good method:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
remember, you don't really measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I would certainly look at EB's of QIAD method. There is so little waste but if you are just off a bit with your sewing accuracy, you CAN CORRECT the problem before trimming. I have quilted for almost 30 years, tried lots of methods and her's really works. It is so easy to be off just a tiny bit on your seam but you can see the problem and fix it. I hope what every method you choose works for you.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Here's 8 FG's I made tonight - just arranged loosely, to get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails p1180946.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 02:16 AM

FYI, my flying geese units are STILL just that - units - not yet sewn into the block!
Fifth grade, a brand new micro-puppy, and "real life" events just keep interfering with my good intentions to get my Bernina fired up! Hopefully will get to the sampler quilt Friday afternoon. At least, that's what I keep hoping for!

Adam