Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I preserve these blocks and make a top from them? >

How do I preserve these blocks and make a top from them?

How do I preserve these blocks and make a top from them?

Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 AM

Default How do I preserve these blocks and make a top from them?

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post that got moved to the pictures forum. My sister found these beautifully appliqued butterfly blocks at an estate sale. They are truly 1930s butterfly blocks in feedsack fabric on muslin that feels "crispy" and may not be stable. Additionally, some of the appliques are close to the edge of the backing fabric and the blocks are not a consistent size. How do I stabilize them and trim down to a consistent size to make a top?[ATTACH=CONFIG]542005[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542006[/ATTACH]How do I trim these to a consistent size?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]542006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

The crispy feel could be starch. Or even fusible. Even though the fabric is 1930 feed sack that doesn't necessarily guarantee the blocks were made then. They could be made later and the maker used a fusible interfacing to adhere the butterflies before blanket stitching them down. Hard to tell from a picture. Either way, as long as the fabric isn't falling apart with handling you shouldn't need to stabilize them further. Once in a top and quilted adequately they should be fine. But if you are truly concerned you can reinforce each block by sewing it to another square of muslin or fusing. I would opt for the former as some fusibles tend to be stiff.

It looks like you have more than enough blocks to make a decent size top so you may be able to eliminate the ones where the applique is too close to the edge (less than 1/4" where part of the applique will be buried in a seam allowance). To make a top I would measure every block and at that time establish which blocks where the appliques are coming dangerously close to the edge. I would then square up and trim every block to be the same size based on the smallest block. At this point you can determine how large a top you want and if you want or need sashing strips. I would use muslin for that and for setting triangles if you decide to set on point.

Have fun!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:49 AM

How do I decide what block size to trim them to? How do a "square" template? the blocks are not all the same size and differ in how close to the edge they are appliqued

I assure you they-are in original pristine condition and do not currently have fusible or stabilizer on them.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

You find the smallest block. Trim the rest to that same size. You can use any square size ruler. I would trim based on how close the applique is to the edge. I am assuming all the butterflies are the same size, and the blocks are squares not rectangles and it is just the backing squares that are measuring different. Anything off 1/8" or less I would not trim down. Just remember it is slightly smaller like put a pin on it with a scrap of paper with the measurement.
For blocks with the butterfly close to the edge, I am assuming the opposite edge has ample room for trimming. My main concern is to ensure you leave yourself a seam allowance when trimming.
Try googling how to square up a quilt block. You will find many blogs and youtube videos.
Here is one I selected randomly.
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/11/...a-quilt-block/

It isn't that hard. Do you have a square ruler that is bigger than the blocks? That should be all you need.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I use to get uneven blocks in block exchange ALL the time. I would sew oversize triangles on all fours sides and then trim them all down to the same size. You could use a variety of solid fabrics in the color of reproduction prints. I drew this small quilt on EQ7.
Attached Thumbnails butterfly.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I would hand wash one block and see how it reacts. If the backing seems too flimsy after washing, I might either fuse a light fusible to the back or prepare them for appliqué to a different background square. It would probably be easiest to just back with a fusible and would preserve the exact look of these wonderful blocks.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I had a bunch of these type blocks from my FIL's companion. I think her grandmother had made them. Unfortunately the picture of the finished piece got lost. I picked a 30s reproduction fabric that went well with the variety and added sashing to the blocks. It looks like you have LOTS of blocks (too many for just one quilt) - how about sorting them into like sizes. Then use the ones that are close in size. It will be pretty.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I agree with FF. Do a 'tug test' on one of the blocks. Hold a block by its sides (not on the bias) and give a firm tug. If the fabric shreds or tears, you would need to stabilize them. I would use a light weight or feather weight iron on interfacing. If they are OK, then I would just sew them up.
You can set them on point, as you have them displayed with or without sashing (I would get a repro 30's for the sashing). You could also alternate them with plain blocks, either muslin or a print. If you alternate them, you would probably have enough for 2 throws. One for you and one for your sister.
One more alternative is to see if you can get some fabric that matches the background. Cut 1.5 to 2" strips and sew them on all 4 sides of the blocks, then square them up. This gives you more area to work with, and you can get the butterflies in the same place on every block.
One final idea on the crinkly/ crispy. there may be paper in back of the applique. Some people used to use paper for needle turn. you could check this out with a straight pin.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-06-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

You say the background fabric seems "crispier"? My guess is since the butterflies were from printed feedback, the background may well be from feedback too...plain...which I think was a heftier weave....

i like the idea of adding printed fabric triangles onto the four sides of the block....