Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I?? >

How do I??

How do I??

Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 AM

I'm sure by now you've gotten many different comments. However, I'll add mine too! I've been quilting for ~10 years. I used to sew vertical rows and then sew them together. I've learned a few things from this site.

1. Sew the quilt in 4 quadrants (sections) rather than strips
2. Sash each individual block rather than strips that are the length of the quilt.

If you sew in sections; upper left, upper right, lower right and lower left, then sew the top 1/2 together and the bottom 1/2 together...then the longest seam you have to sew together will be the width of the quilt when you sew the top 1/2 to the bottom 1/2!!!

If you sash each individual block, then it's just more chain sewing. And anyone can chain sew! It's very important to make sure your blocks are square though, before you start sewing the blocks to make a section!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM

I also like to piece individual blocks, I like to look better.
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I sash individual blocks --- leave some plain as you'll sash only one, two or three sides of those -- and use cornerstones. I prefer*not* to use long strips of sashing as I feel it sort of throws off the evenness of the piecing, sort of like leaving some areas unquilted and other areas densely quilted.

Jan in VA
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM

I use the method described by Prism99 works every time.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM

I personally don't like the look of the long sashing pieces. It just throws the whole look of the quilt off, imho. I much prefer to sash the individual blocks.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks so much for the info on matching blocks and rows in strip pieceing. Love this board.

Last edited by sewsew busy; 09-14-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ment to reply with quotes