Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping track >

Keeping track

Keeping track

Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Default Keeping track

I'm curious to know if anyone keeps track of the quilts they make and how you do it. Someone PM'd me about the fabric I used on my first quilt, and it occurred to me that I didn't keep anything with fabric names or anything. I did manage to get her the names of most of the fabric, but I was curious as to whether this was something people kept track of...or what else people tracked when making quilts.

Thanks so much!

Amy
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM

I have kept a journal of all the quilts and quilt projects I have made since I started in 2004. However I only take a photo of completed quilt, make a note where I got the pattern and who designed it, list start date and finish date, who I gave it to, for what occasion and when I gave it to them. I don't try to keep track of the name of the fabric or the manufacturer because I collect fabric from so many sources: Hancocks, LQS, thrift stores and garage sales, even cotton shirts being given away by my grandsons. If I use a scrap from something of my Moms or another family member, I usually make note of that fact.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

my (journal) contains pattern information if a pattern is used- or sketches, fabric swatches (1/2" x 2") batting choice, backing, any notes about it as i go & pictures sometimes along the way- always when finished. also who/what it is for- and any other (pertinent) information.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM

I take photos of everything I make, especially quilts....
I think this is an excellent way of tracking....
http://quiltalbum.com/index.html
A software program, made by and for quilters......
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM

I wish I did better keeping track... Try to get photos in progress and at completion with some notes (or photo titles) telling me what I did with the quilt. But it is just a lot more fun to work on the quilting than it is to work on the documentation.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I keep a spreadsheet with dates, sizes, a few notes, and lots of pictures in folders on the computer. Keeping track of each individual fabric would be a huge effort, and since most of them won't be available in a year's time, it would be futile.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM

I have a blog and everything is there, although not always collected together. I'm trying to put together a Journal as part of my blog, with details about each quilt - either as I make it, or assembling the info from all the various posts along the way.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM

When I first started quilting many years ago I kept a graphic-paper notebook and would cut out tiny pieces of fabric to reproduce the block. Now I just keep a photo of each quilt in my engagement calendar, with a note about who the recipient is.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM

I had never thought of doing this. Thank you for the idea. Being that I am on my first one and I have taken a few pictures, I will keep track of when I am finished with this one and what I made ot for. Then I can keep track when I start my next ones.
Thanks much.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

I had started a journal about my quilting and the things I've accomplished as a quilter. I also started to journal about each of the quilts I made. Then I had a rush on orders for several quilts last fall and have not kept up with the journal at all. Plan to start up again.