Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you do it? >

How do you do it?

How do you do it?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM

Default suzyquilter

Originally Posted by maude View Post
Hi everyone! This is all very new to me, and I'm having a lot of fun. I just seem to be having some difficulty with the bulk of this quilt. I've not even got a large quilt - it's only about 40"x50". I guess I'm just used to sewing much smaller things.

My question is, how do you deal with flinging the quilt around trying to sew it? Mine keeps trying to fall off the table. I'm nervous about messing it up because of it pulling itself off the table. I rested it in my lap but then I practically got buried in the material. Thanks!
I always put extra tables around my sewing table when I'm quilting and make sure the quilt stays on the tables. I've found that the pulling when the quilt goes off the table effects my tension. Also I spluged on a machine with an extra large throat. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 AM

I set up tv snack tables around my sewing table to carry the weight of the quilt....works very well
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM

In one of the Craftsy classes it said to puddle the quilt and work in quarters..I haven't watched it all yet but she seemed to make it appear doable...good luck and post when finished...
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM

I put a card table near my sewing table and puddle it on there so it doesn't fall off or pull.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 AM

Quilt on the lap is why I love quilting in the winter, I can turn the heat back! The downside is that the cats like the lap in the quilt and want to join in the fun!

For big quilts I roll/fold the quilt. The only method I've found to keep the roll together is big binder clips. Otherwise I pin the bejesus out of the quilt and then make sure the section I'm working on is flat and just take my time.