Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you do it?

How do you do it?

Hi everyone! This is all very new to me, and I'm having a lot of fun. I just seem to be having some difficulty with the bulk of this quilt. I've not even got a large quilt - it's only about 40"x50". I guess I'm just used to sewing much smaller things.

My question is, how do you deal with flinging the quilt around trying to sew it? Mine keeps trying to fall off the table. I'm nervous about messing it up because of it pulling itself off the table. I rested it in my lap but then I practically got buried in the material. Thanks!

I roll mine up. The side that goes into the harp of the machine is rolled. I tried using bicycle clips to keep it rolled - some roll both sides and keep a flat center area of about 9 - 12 inches - but the clips didn't work for me. So I just roll the one side. I have only made one very large quilt and I hand quilted it. I have used a lowered ironing board to catch the quilt on the other side of the sewing machine but it was more problem for me than help. My sewing machines that I use to quilt both have sewing tables so there is enough shelf behind the machine it seems enough to hold the quilt.

What is your sewing machine sitting on?

Power Poster
    ​You want the quilt supported on all sides so most of us put every flat surface we can find into play. Some use extra card tables, ironing boards, file cabinets etc.

it is a real pain in the bottom. i know. but the finished quiltnand the look on the persons face is soooo worth it.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Are talking about flinging it around when you are sewing your pieced blocks together or are you talking about when you are trying to quilt it after it has been sandwiched? I'm not sure rolling it when you are sewing your pieced squares together would work too well although it might. But like the others said - regardless whether you are just sewing the pieced squares together or quilting the sandwiched quilt you should try and maybe use your ironing table next to where you sew to help keep the quilt more spread out.

I puddle up the extra and lay it over my sewing table and an ironing board set up specifically for this purpose. You might also consider putting a fan under the sewing table to help with the being buried/hot feeling under the quilt.

I bring my machine to the dining table and put chairs all around it leaving a little space between chair back and table. The overflow falls to the seats of the chairs. I roll the side that is under the harp of the machine. I do only SITD or crosshatching. I can only make a couple or three runs and then have to stop to rest my shoulders and neck.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I'm a puddler, too. I tried rolling it up but found it to be too stiff for me. That said, try it both ways and see what works for you.

Blog Entries
    I find rolling it just makes it heavier. you need more table support if you can get it. and start quilting your quilt in the center and work to the side under the throat of your machine, then turn and do the other side under the throat. that helps a lot!

QM
    I scrunch it up. I presume that's what Julie R meant by "puddle". Over many years and lots of quilts, I have found that I do best if I work a bit, stop then shift it. My guild has a LA, but I am unable to use it, so I do the best I can. It is important to take plenty of breaks: just a shoulder roll or get up and move.

Yes are you talking about FMQ because a neat way would be to do it like the creative feet lady does it and use elastic and safety pins
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Rolling a quilt makes it too stiff...sort of like a "log"...I do more of an "accordian fold" and secure that, and "puddle" the part of the quilt that is in front of me.

Do you have your machine set into a cabinet, so you have a nice flat surface, or if you don't have a cabinet, do you have a large sewing surface (acrylic table) that fits onto your machine? The larger flat surface you can have, the better. As others have said, surround yourself with tables, ironing board lowered, etc.

I'm currently doing FMQ on a 52" x 52" (largest I've made) and I'm doing it in quarters. I don't roll it because as others have said it makes it too stiff, but I do bunch it up in the throat of the machine. I start in the top center and sort of go down and up and across until I reach the edge that is on the right. Then I turn the quilt and now I have a top center part to start with again. I sew on a dining table that has an extension I can pull out of the end to support the quilt, but I've also set up my ironing board sort of on a diagonal behind my left arm. Hope that helps.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I use folding plastic tables to support my quilts. Consider using a pillow in your lap to support the weight of the quilt in front.
    Sweet Caroline

I do roll the quilt so it is easier to handle.

I also use those Lifetime 2x4 ft tables; one in so that it holds the material in front of me and one to the left side and behind me. I have a cabinet that goes to the left of my sewing area. So these tables are next to my cabinet. I look like I am comfortable in my little 'nest' when I do this.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Well my machine is attached to a table. It's a Singer 201, and it's got a fold out surface to the left of the machine, which does seem to help a bit. And yes I'm talking about FMQ. Thank you for the help and ideas, I'll have to drag some more stuff around my workspace and work with it.

I am a roller with my quilts. I have a short filing cabinet behind my sewing machine to hold the extra.

Blog Entries
    im sewing a quilt now and its all over the place......lol.........will struggle along though cuz it will be sew worth all the pulling and bunching.....will post pics when done.....

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Kmart sells a 2ft. x 4 ft. folding white resin table (From Lifetime, it's called a 'personal' table) for about $30. They are invaluable for pulling up right against your left side to support the quilt as you work. I use mine for all sorts of tasks. The height is adjustable.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I used a caravan 6ft long table which was folded up in its caravan space most of the time and pulled out when I did a quilt. I have also used a folded wallpaper table and put a cover over the top of clear PVC to ensure a slide. It works very well having folding tables used for other things and out of the way most of time. Ironing boards also good although I don't have one.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I too am a "Flinger" but will try the puddle method. Thanks for the tip.

My sewing machine is set into a nice size table that handles crib/lap quilts. I set up my ironing board next to my sewing table to help support the larger quilts.

I work at the kitchen table so I have lots of room to hold up the quilt.
    Amythyst

I am looking for the answer to that question also.

Rolling up the quilt does not work for me. I have a table to the back of my machine and my machine is in a table, lots of space to hold the quilt. I puddle it too if that is the right word to use. I have done 4 queen size quilts on my Janome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast