Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering? >

How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

How Do You Keep Layers From Puckering?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
This is why I hand quilt! I have had to use the carpeted family room floor & never could get a nice smooth backing. We just tiled our master bathroom & it may be large enough to try with my next quilt. I have evn thought of buying a ping pong table just for this purpose.
I bought a ping pong table at a garage sale for 10.00 and that is what I use to baste my quilts, I have been pinning but I think I will give Sharon Schamber's method a try. The ping pong table folds up in the middle and sits at the back of the garage and when I want to baste a quilt I just pull the car out and unfold the table. One of the best investments I have made from a garage sale. The other one waws a 221 FW for 50.00
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I heavily starch the backing before sandwiching.
I starch the back as well but remember that you have to wash the quilt if you are planning to store it away, as the starch attracks bugs that will eat your quilt.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by dltaylor View Post
well this might sound crazy to some people. But I brought some 5 pounds weights, like the little hand held ones that you exercise with. I use these when placing my layers in the floor. They are heavy enough to keep it still while I baste.
That doesn't sound crazy to me. My DH suggested that I use mine and they work great. I also use them to help hold my rulers when I am cutting. He also washed some new bricks and wrapped them in foil for use in holding the quilt sandwich together while I am basting.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 AM

Wow, so many great suggestions from experience! I love this board! I was taught Harriet Hargrave's method and consider her book, "Heirloom Machine Quilting" to be the Bible of machine quilting. Not only do I like her method of basting the sandwich, which I've used for king-sized quilts, but I like her method of binding. I will definitely try the starch for the backing and I'm going to watch this video that sounds facinating. I have a 3x6 foot table with folding legs that we use for basting quilts (the edges are thin enough for the large binding clips) and for cutting fabric.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 AM

If you have table pads turn them face down and put the quilt on the felt backing. Basted one yesterday and it was a breeze. It sticks to the felt and doesn't move. Start from the middle and when you get all that basted gently pull the quilt to the next spot you want to baste.