Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you keep your thread from bleeding on your fabric? >

How do you keep your thread from bleeding on your fabric?

How do you keep your thread from bleeding on your fabric?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Default How do you keep your thread from bleeding on your fabric?

So I have meaning to ask this for a while but keep forgetting to post it, I was wondering how you keep your thread from bleeding on to the fabric? I use to do lots of hand embroidery and now since I have started hand quilting the question is still on my mind, I remember I would always have issues with my red, blue, pink and green thread bleeding onto the fabric. I have heard of people soaking there thread to wash out any dye left in the thread. I would like to know if anyone has these issues and what your method is to fix it?

Last edited by oklahomamom2; 04-08-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I always used DMC that is colour fast. I now use the little balls of perle cotton, it is colour fast also.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

While I have heard of instances of embroidery floss bleeding I have never experienced thread used for quilting, decorative thread painting or piecing bleeding. I have used all kinds of threads too. Cotton, polyester, silk, heavy weight thread (35 wt hand quilting thread) and super fine thread (100 wt silk and invisifil) and never had a problem.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 PM

I only use Gutermann all cotton thread and have never had it bleed.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I think the older embroidery threads were much less dye-fast. Manufacturing methods for dyeing have changed considerably over the years.

If you really want to be sure, it's pretty easy to test thread. I would sew some onto a piece of white fabric and then wet the whole piece. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that most thread these days does not bleed. You could do this with both embroidery thread and the thread you are using to quilt with.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:30 PM

I've not had any issues with thread bleeding on my quilting. And, of course, not with piecing either. I hand quilt and use 'hand quilting' thread which is thicker/heavier with no issues. Decades ago when I embroidered, yes, some would bleed onto the fabric but always washed out. I progressed to needlepoint. Very fine canvas and using embroidery thread vs wool and have had no issues with those - even red - bleeding either.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:13 PM

I'm glad that you have not had an issue I know when I was doing embroidering it was around 2001 so Its been a while so I'm glad that things have change when it comes to thread not bleeding. It makes me feel good that others have tired colored threads and so I don't feel so nervous about trying them.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I have only used Coats & Clark quilting thread and never had a problem. I even use this thread for hand stitching my bindings to the back since it seems to knot a lot less.