Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: red flannel, keep from bleeding

Blog Entries

red flannel, keep from bleeding

I used to use retane to set color in fabric in my wash machine.Now I have a new machine that the lid locks. If I open the lid all the water runs out. I need it to agitate for 20 mins. in hot water. Help!

Is there a way you can soak it for 20 mins. in hot water before you wash it. I guess in trouble to I have three blankets that have read flannel I guess I should of washed it first.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a washer like that also. Supposedly a safety feature. Just bought some more reds the other day. Put some laundry soap in a large plastic container and let it soak. I borrowed some retaine from my neighbor who dislikes the stuff. She said she had to use it after she finished her quilt and it still bled. Same here on a test block. Anyway back to my laundry soap in a large plastic container with nothing but hot water. I let it soak and hand agitated it. emptied and repeated rinsing with hot water. Threw it into washer with 2 color catchers after it had rinsed clear. Still bled. Will make sure any thing with reds will advise washing in cold water. I usually wash my fabric in hot water in a long wash cycle like Large/extra large. That is the only way I can get it to agitate unless I do it myself.

Blog Entries
    my machine has this thing that comes up in the middle of the machine and goes back down when it's done
    thank you

Blog Entries
    I've never been able to get red flannel to stop bleeding, so gave up trying to use it.

Power Poster
    If you have a container big enough, heat water on the stove to get it hot enough. Buy a new toilet plunger at the $ store and use it to hand agitate for 20 minutes. If you do it outside, you can just tip the water out when done and then take the container to the washing machine and finish washing. Good luck!