Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you like your Slidelock? >

How do you like your Slidelock?

How do you like your Slidelock?

Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 AM

Default How do you like your Slidelock?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Slidelock (http://quiltersslidelock.com), but it doesn't have a ruler on it. Any comments yea or nay? I don't want to throw away $45.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

for the purpose that the mfg states, it looks like it does a good job. however, i don't want to have a long straight edge for cutting wof and then have to get out my long ruler to do the measuring. i want a product that is both.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 AM

I think the slidelock looks good but it does seem a bit pricey. Another option might be to get a ruler grip like this one http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...r-sku-tgq002-c
and just attach it to a long ruler then you have the handle and the ruler too.

I find the more and more I use my ruler to measure rather than my cutting board so I don't think the slidelock would work for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 AM

I love mine since I have little strength in my arm due to shoulder injury. It's been a lifesaver for me. I mark my lines with a fine tip washable marker and it's great for me because it takes little pressure to hold to the fabric.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 AM

I love mine! I use it all the time and would buy another one if something happened to the one I have. I bought the 24" to start with and then the shorter one for squaring up, etc. It doesn't slip on the fabric and keeps your fingers safe from the blade. Love it.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

The Quilters Slidelock is not suppose to be a ruler. You put it on top of a ruler. It holds the ruler perfectly in place and most important it keeps your fingers away from the rotary blade. To me, it's not a matter of if I have a rotary accident but when I have one. I bought it for the safety factor and use it because it works great. I don't cut without it. In my opinion the cost is nothing compared to the distress of a sliced finger, ER visit, and meds. It is one of my must have tools, no exceptions.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM

I purchased the 24" version and I'm disappointed in it. Even though I held it down well, my fabric slid each time.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
for the purpose that the mfg states, it looks like it does a good job. however, i don't want to have a long straight edge for cutting wof and then have to get out my long ruler to do the measuring. i want a product that is both.
I agree with Nancy. My friend bought her's over for me to try and with pushing down on the handle, it really does engage these dots and the fabric doesn't shift. I have been thinking of a way to attach something to the bottom so that I would have the best of both worlds. I don't want to fork out the money and then have them do the update 6 months later. I would probably only want a 2.5" cut line. Just a thought. You are suppose to use the ruler in front to get the slidelock into position to cut.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:05 PM

I love them!

There are at least a few threads in the Main forum; if you look at them you'll find lots of opinions and information.

The Slidelock doesn't go on top of the ruler, it butts up to it. I did try it on top of the ruler, and as expected, it didn't work as well that way. The balls that engage to touch the fabric are what holds it - if they are not against the fabric, they aren't going to hold it securely. They would be against the ruler, which might not slip away from the Slidelock, but the ruler's other side would still be against the fabric with nothing to keep it from slipping.

Here is one of the other threads http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t239186.html

As far as the other ruler grips - tried them, hated them, gave them away.

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 03-17-2014 at 04:09 PM.