Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
slidelock ruler question >

slidelock ruler question

slidelock ruler question

Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Default slidelock ruler question

I came across this ruler in the Nancys Notions catalog and it looks amazing. I was wondering if anyone had purchased it, and if so, how do you like it. I am seriously considering ordering one. Here is the demo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYOoRetnlfM
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM

I have one and I love it! It seems to be the only way I can cut a straight line
Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM

I bought two recently, both the long and the 14" one. LOVE the 14" one, it's all I use.

In the past, I've tried the Gypsy Gripper, but did not care for them at all and gave them away. I've noticed that the LQS no longer uses them, either.

This truly is a product that works as it is demonstrated. I'm cutting strips and squares using this and a rotary cuttern now rather than getting my Accuquilt out. I've cut as many as 8 layers with NO moving.

If your mat is not extremely accurate, you do have to use in conjunction with an acrylic ruler. I have a Martelli mat, so know that the lines on it are as accurate as on my rulers. As a result, I usually do not use the ruler when using the Slide Lock.

There is a group buy group on Yahoo called JOSews; that is where I purchased mine. I believe the moderator might be doing another Slide Lock purchase soon.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM

How does this work to keep the fabric from moving?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM

The acrylic - which is much thicker than an acrylic ruler - has several holes down the center of it. When you press on the wood handle/bar, it causes a row of ?? silicone, maybe ?? balls to press down evenly through the acrylic onto the fabric. Much more grip than the grip dots that can be placed on rulers. But when you aren't pressing on the handle, the balls are raised, so the ruler slides across fabric until you press down again.

If you watch the video, the easiest place to see these is at about 5 minutes. If you go to their web site, you can kind of see them here http://quiltersslidelock.com/buy/

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 01-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

After a trip to the ER because of a rotary cut, I bought the Slidelock. I will not use a rotary cutter without a safety tool and the Slidelock is the best I've found. I could have bought every member of my guild a Slidelock for less then my cost after insurance. I have two of each size. No one would use a metal grinder without safety glasses so why use a rotary cutter without a safety tool.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
After a trip to the ER because of a rotary cut, I bought the Slidelock. I will not use a rotary cutter without a safety tool and the Slidelock is the best I've found. I could have bought every member of my guild a Slidelock for less then my cost after insurance. I have two of each size. No one would use a metal grinder without safety glasses so why use a rotary cutter without a safety tool.
I agree as I cut the end of my index off with rotary and I don't like the klutz glove so will probably try this one. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM

I have both sizes and love them!! I use the longest one for wof cuts. A really great tool!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 PM

I do not have one but this is a great idea. I just looked on the slidelock website and they now have some that are lighted. That would be great for my Mom since she has vision trouble. Think I might have to get us these. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM

I have the shorter Slidelock ruler and love it. I'll have to check out those new ones with lights---I didn't know about that. Although I have a rotary cutter with a built in battery operated led light, and it's great, too!