Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
slidelock ruler question >

slidelock ruler question

slidelock ruler question

Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JenF View Post
Feffertim, when Fayberry responded so quickly, and I already had it in my NN online basket, plus no tax and a free ship coupon, I took the plunge and ordered. Thanks for the other thread link because although I searched on slidelock here, I somehow missed that thread. I too wait with anticipation and plan to repost after I get mine. I'm excited and hopeful about many things about it besides the fact that I'm dreaming of accurately cut strips from one end to the next and the speed and confidence in cutting I hope to gain.

Here are the additional hopes I have for the 24" yellow version I just ordered: 1) safety (I'm sure it can happen easier than one would think, and I know I wouldn't take the time to put on special gloves). 2) the thickness. I'm predicting that it will be thick enough that if I put it down in an odd way, say lean it against the wall, it will have enough strength that I won't even think about it breaking. Also that it won't sliver on the edges, like my all time favorite "use for everything" "Guidelines for Quilters rulers" set are doing (I love them and they are 12" long so I still plan to use them for shorter cuts). and 3) the process of keeping it always at my left sounds so darn sensible (in my case since I'm a strong right hander) so I'll measure and cut with my right, which is how I think, from left to right. It should solve a pet peeve I have: you see I always cut that first sliver off with my ruler at the left and then have to flip everything around so I could continue; so I have to carefully line the fabric up all over again, so annoying, lol!

Please confirm if I'm on the right track with all these hopes?
Yes, you are right on all counts. No more flipping the fabric around after cutting a straight edge, so no more chance of the edges slipping when you move them. The ruler is thick, so it will not distort at all, it would be almost impossible to slip and cut yourself because your hand is way out of the way, so it is safer, faster, completely accurate, and a perfect tool. Love mine, enjoy yours
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM

Hi again! Just an update that my slidelock 24" yellow version has arrived and I'm liking it very much! Its doing everything I'd hoped and improving my cutting confidence so I'm working faster.
--Jen
Old 03-17-2014, 12:28 PM

UPDATE: I'm writing in to make a correction to my post above as I DON'T recommend the slidelock. I was working with flannel when I first purchased it and not doing much cutting so I only tested it once or twice on the flannel. Now I've tried it with regular fabric and it slid. I work at countertop height and I held the slidelock down as hard as I could (I don't mind pressing hard), but it did NOT work. I think the only reason it worked well the first time is due to the flannel fabric. I'm very disappointed with it. Really need something that works.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by JenF View Post
UPDATE: I'm writing in to make a correction to my post above as I DON'T recommend the slidelock. I was working with flannel when I first purchased it and not doing much cutting so I only tested it once or twice on the flannel. Now I've tried it with regular fabric and it slid. I work at countertop height and I held the slidelock down as hard as I could (I don't mind pressing hard), but it did NOT work. I think the only reason it worked well the first time is due to the flannel fabric. I'm very disappointed with it. Really need something that works.
I don't understand why you are having a problem. If you hold down on the handle and the little plastic balls come down in contact with the fabric, there is no way the fabric can slip. Make sure the little balls underneath are coming in contact with the fabric, maybe you did not place it correctly
Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Got it recently and LOVE it!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM

I have both sizes and love them. I wish they came in a smaller size like 8" to use for trimming up blocks.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:41 PM

So happy to hear I can buy the SlideLock from Nancy's Notions. I was going to but it directly from the website, but they only take PayPal, and I absolutely refuse to deal with PayPal ever again. I thought that was the only place to get one, so I'd resigned myself to not getting one. Now that I know Nancy's has them, I'll be ordering one tonight. Yaaay!