Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you log your quilts? >
  • How do you log your quilts?

• How do you log your quilts?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 AM

Fabric-holic, no you're not the only one. I have a few pictures but after reading these suggestions I think I'll start keeping track of my quilts better. Thanks everyone.
    Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 AM

I needd to find a way to keep track of UFO's.
    Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 AM

I keep a quilt journal. I include info like who it was for, date made, if it was a special occasion, a photo of the finished quilt, a photo of the label because I usually include relevant photos in my labels and samples of the fabrics used.

I specially enjoy looking at the fabrics that I used in quilts that I have gifted and remember why I chose them.
    Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 AM

[email protected]'re supposed to keep track??? :shock:
    Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM
    Power Poster

I have a running commentary in a folder in my computer. It shows the number assigned to the quilt, its name and things that I want to remember about it. This is a "slice" from that section as an example.

The Sixty-Ninth
    “Lincoln’s Legacy”

A Log Cabin. It’s sort of scrappy. Initially I read the instructions wrong and ended up making two blocks the same, so I did not attempt to make each block different. I was just wanting to use up some of my blue fabric, as I have so much of it. This will be a Christmas present for my husband, Jim.

Size -- 59 ˝ x 71 ˝
    Completed -- September 1, 2009
    Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 AM
    Banned

I take photos of the quilt in different stages of manufacture and put them in a separate file in my quilting folder. Of course I name the file so its easier for me to find but I can remember each quilt and what machine I used to make it so I never have to include that information.

Its like me and my cars, I can remember all of them I have owned through the years in the order they came to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At last count it was over 50 of them.......

Billy
    Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 AM

I take a picture and place it in an album along with information such as date finished, pattern, and description of techniques (hand quilted, machine pieced, etc.).
    Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 AM

Several different times I have started to document and photograph my quilts. It would take hours to find them all and take photos of them. I have them tucked away all over the place. That is just the ones I kept. I have probably given away as many as I kept. Most recently I took pictures with a digital camera to post here and on other quilt related sites. Somewhere I have photos so old I wouldn't know how to duplicate them.
    Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 AM

Pictures that I save on the computer. That way they are dated and I can print them out anytime I need to
    Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM

I started quilting 30 years ago and didn't keep track...therefore, there were a large number of quilts that just got lost in time....I gave a lot of them away. I started back to quilting 12 years ago and now faithfully take a picture of each finished quilt and I have 3 photo albums full. I find it's fun to look back and see what I made and for whom.

Also about 5 years ago, I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything and had a "to do" list of UFOs a mile long so decided to keep track of the quilts I finish and what's left to do....I do it for a full year. Every May 1st I look to see what has and hasn't been done and then transfer to another list what hasn't been finished and move on....that's my fiscal year-end review. Some quilts have been on the list for 5 years....I'll get to them eventually....and it doesn't bother me that they've been hanging around all that time. It's important to see what has taken up my sewing time, and what I've accomplished....I found out one year that I made a total bedroom set with curtains, tabletoppers and duvet cover for my daughter.....and so it took a bite out of my quilting time....interesting.