Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: how do you make your sashes line up?

Blog Entries

how do you make your sashes line up?

I'm having fun and games with an 'easy' quilt because I'm having to crease every sash piece exactly in half and pin it to make sure that the lines all line up properly. I must be out on my 1/4" seams somewhere. Is there a fool proof way to do it?

It's only a scrappy 4square block after all, it shouldn't be rocket science, should it?

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

Blog Entries
    I always use cornerstones. I have been known to use cornerstones the same color as the sashing... ;-)
    This is the only way i can make sure everything lines up. I have seen tutorials not using cornerstones and they always mark the intersections of the blocks:
    How to align blocks with sashing when you don't want cornerstones

so I would say you are not doing anything unusual.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 06-29-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I cut all my sashes the size of the blocks for the center blocks, for the outsides I cut them as for borders and sew on like borders. I sew the strips in the center the same way.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips. It didn't occur to me to mark the lines with pencil - so much better than creases. And I'll remember to treat the outside as borders to avoid wavy edges.

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

Blog Entries
    I sew borders on each individual block. Then all you have to do is sew the blocks together, making sure the points match. These blocks have 2 borders; 1 green, 1 red. When sewn together, the red border looks like sashing.

Name:  closeup.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  284.9 KB

Power Poster
    ​If it's a smaller quilt, I have on occasion put the sashing between the blocks and used one whole width of the fabric piece to go across the width of the quilt. I have also cheated by using cornerstones of a different colour and adding the small triangles to the sashing ends so the the sashing forms 8 pointed stars where they meet at the cornerstone.