Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you pick the color thread to do the quilting? >

How do you pick the color thread to do the quilting?

How do you pick the color thread to do the quilting?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM

I use invisible thread on top when doing SID. and a matching thread to the backing on the bottom. A problem with using too dark thread on the bottom especially whith a light top is that often the bottom thread can show slightly on the top leaving small "dots", You could change the backing to a lighter blue so when using light blue thread it will blend better on the back.Also using a print as the backing will hide many stitching flaws. I will use my SID or FMQ as a quilting pattern on ther back.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

i generally decide what i want for the top- be it compimentary, contrasting, verigated...what ever i choose- then i choose a thread for the back- that again either disappears/blends in, contrasts, compliments...goes with the back- about the only time my thread is the same top & bottom is when my background is the same- like a black background quilt with a black backing will have black thread- or same as white top/backing...i pretty much never quilt with invisible thread- i save that for applique- or some technique that requires it....i've had to re-quilt too many quilts for people who used invisible thread to only have it break apart- sometime down the road. i know some people have good luck with it- but i've not seen it hold up on a quilt that is to be used as a quilt- only on wall hangings. (just my experience) i would recommend matching your backing thread to your backing- and use what you like for your top- i think when people say you should use the same top & bottom it is more the (weight/type) of thread- not necessarily the same color.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
If you don't like the look now, there's nothing wrong with taking out the stitching ou've done.
Better to take the time now, than to hate it forever!

How do I pick the thread?
I audition the thread, against both the back and front.

Pull some of the thread off the spool and just let it fall on the quilt top/backing somewhat like it would be when quilted. That is, about the same distance apart. Stand back a bit, and you'll get a good idea how it will look after quilting.

Contrast of thread is more noticeable, yet can be very effective.
A coarser thread is also more noticeable.
Both tending to show any quilting faux-pas!!
Wherease a finer thread is much less noticeable.

I've had good luck with the Wonderfil/DecoBob 100 wt and 80 wt threads when I don't want the thread to be a focus.
I do the same! Great advice!!!