Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you set ink printed on an inkjet printer

How do you set ink printed on an inkjet printer

I bond fabric together by pressing it onto freezer paper, cut it 8 1/2" X 11" and run it through my inkjet printer. As soon as water hits the printing it bleeds. Is there a way to set the ink so it won't bleed?
    If God only used perfect people, nothing would ever get done.

There is a product to take care of this which escapes me right now. Check with your office supply stores and they'll be able to tell you.

You also can heat set it so it won't bleed. Simply put a piece of muslin over your printed fabric and heat set it for a few seconds. That should take care of it also.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    Bubble jet set is supposed to keep the ink from running, I haven't tried it yet. Heat setting it alone, doesn't work that well, mine still faded a lot.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

I have used Bubble Jet works really well and not too expensive - despite the name is for ink jet printing

I'm getting ready to try the bubble jet set in the next couple of days for the very first time on my current quilt label...will let you know how it works!

Blog Entries
    Dumb question--How do know if you printer is ink jet or not? Mine is an inexpensive Canon copier/printer that I got at WalMart for less than $30. But it prints really well and I would love to add pictures to labels or my quilts.
    Sherri

Cheap printers are usually ink jet. I've used salt, white vinegar and cold water to set iron on transfers. Bubble jet set does work. I have some Tshirts that are really old that had an iron on and the iron on is not faded. I used an old Canon inkjet.

It might be that you have to pretreat the fabric first. The premade sheets have probably been treated.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
    Dumb question--How do know if you printer is ink jet or not? Mine is an inexpensive Canon copier/printer that I got at WalMart for less than $30. But it prints really well and I would love to add pictures to labels or my quilts.
    Ink jet printers take ink cartridges and laser printer take toner cartridges.
    Face the world with a smile...You never know when someone you meet will need one!"

After I have printed the label iron it with a DRY iron then let it set for maybe a day, ironing it a couple more times..
    DRY. Then when I spritz it with water it doesn't bleed and I do that a couple of times. By doing this I don't have a running problem.

Blog Entries
    Bubble jet set really works well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast