Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: printed label with inkjet printer

printed label with inkjet printer

I have some difficulty with printing labels directly on fabric eventhough I use freezer paper. The ink doesn't stay on the fabric; it disappears with the first wash. Does anybody have a solution? Thanks.

Do you heat set it with your iron before washing?

Being that you are using your own yardage,

Has the fabric been washed?
    ... washing would get the sizing and other chemicals off, and prepare the fabric to receive the ink.

After washing, as the fabric been re-treated (starched, best press, spray sizing, dryer sheets, etc.)?
    ... all of these could be preventing the ink to stay on the fabric. Back to washing, as above.

As GmaSandee already questioned, be sure to heat set it after printing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My grandd's baby quilt has seen many washings. The label is readable after 2 years. No sizing, starch etc. ...and definitely set with very hot iron, no steam. Also, l used a rather bold font, and set the printer to a darker than normal setting.

What type of printer are you using? Is it the type that is meant to print on fabric?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Did you treat your fabric before printing? There is a solution for this, sorry I don't recall the name. I believe you can also get pretreated fabric made especially for printing with inkjet printer.

I used Bubble Jet Set for years and was always confident the labels would last through many years of washing. Not so... one of my friends told me the labels I used on her twins quilts were almost faded beyond reading in a couple years of washing the baby quilts. I usually hand embroider a simple message label now. (I wonder when statistics are posted about a product, how many actual full washings etc. actually happen before posting the results?) I have some quilts in my house that have only been washed once and the labels look lovely... I have never just printed a label onto fabric that has not been treated with a chemical product. I have received swap blocks where people have signed them with "permanent" gel pens etc..... but when I soaked them and scrubbed them... the signature disappeared. I guess what I'm saying is... you need to experiment for yourself and be happy with the results.

Blog Entries
    It’s the type of ink in the printer. You need pigment based ink, not dye based ink. When I can get to my computer, I will post a link to a website that explains the difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    It’s the type of ink in the printer. You need pigment based ink, not dye based ink. When I can get to my computer, I will post a link to a website that explains the difference.

I will also be watching for this link. thank you.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Blog Entries
    Here's the link to the very informative article that talks about the two different kinds of dyes in inkjet printers:
    http://www.gloriahansen.com/articles.php?p=1&ID=14

Thanks for the link. Very helpful!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will follow your recommandations. Very interesting article on the difference between types of ink.

Thanks, Prism. A very informative article.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

After printing soak the fabric in vinegar for 15 minutes and that will set the ink.

Treat fabric with bubblejet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Being that you are using your own yardage,

Has the fabric been washed?
    ... washing would get the sizing and other chemicals off, and prepare the fabric to receive the ink.

After washing, as the fabric been re-treated (starched, best press, spray sizing, dryer sheets, etc.)?
    ... all of these could be preventing the ink to stay on the fabric. Back to washing, as above.

As GmaSandee already questioned, be sure to heat set it after printing.
    Yes. All of the above. So many variables....I've never had any of mine run or fade. Been pleased so far.

Yikes--I am alarmed to read all these suggestions to heat set the label after printing. I just finished a quilt with a home-printed photographic label using Printed Treasures fabric and instructions which did not mention heat-setting the ink. Instructions indicated I should let the ink dry completely, then use a dry iron on a low (silk or wool) setting to press the paper side of the label. I understood this step was to help with removing the paper backing for which users have criticized the product in online reviews. The final step in the instructions was to rinse in cool water until clear in order to "carry off" any excess dye. FWIW I used a Canon (MX922) inkjet with fresh new inkjet cartridges ($84 worth at Costco) to print the label, but except for the dry iron pressing of the paper backing, no heat to speak of.

Should I go back to iron it with a hot iron? Could it hurt? TIA and happy mother's day to all the mothers on this list.
    I didn't make this beautiful GFG quilt but it's on my wish list to do

I pretreat my fabric with a solution of downy fabric softener and water. I cut my fabric into 8-1/2" X 11" sheets and immerse into the downy solution and soak for a few minutes. Then pat excess water out by laying between towels. Lay out to dry, then iron on freezer paper sheets. Then run through the printer or use the gel or micro pens. Then always finish by heat setting.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut