Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your WIPs? >

How do you store your WIPs?

How do you store your WIPs?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM

I tried to stick to one quilt at a time, but started two (one applique/handwork and one machine based)....I got addicted and now have one that I am quilting, one I am applique/handworking, one I will be piecing and one that is a scrap quilt. So much for that resoluton of sticking to one! LOL

I currently am using shoeboxes. It is working ok, but I seem to be shuffling a lot...

Just curious as to what others do.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM

I use those see through plastic containers at Wal-mart ($4) They have handles but can be stacked.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

I use the plastic containers that are used by scrapbookers. There are 12 x 12 and about 2 inches high. Until the quilt gets too big. I keep the fabric, pattern in it. and then as I start cutting the pieces keep them in there and labeled for where they go (block, sashing, binding). Then as it I piece the quilt it usually still fits in there.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM

I don't care much for shoe boxes because I can't see them. I bought some of those inexpensive plastic shoe boxes and that's where I put designated fabrics---I'm going to make a quilt with them and don't want to use them on anything else but haven't cut yet.
Once they're cut the go into ziploc bags that I've written on the outside.

Once the blocks are made they go on a skirt hanger and hang on a clothing rack.

if the top is done and not yet quilted, they're folded and laid on the top shelf of dd's changing table. (she's not using it any more, she's almost 12!!)
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM

I am a huge fan of ArtBin super satchels...have a whole stack of them.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Cardboard boxes, ziploc bags, paper sacks, plastic boxes, tin boxes, Rubbermaid baskets, cookie cartons, shoe boxes, hat boxes, whatever I can find that fills the bill. Do I have a lot of UFO's....Yep! I sure do. Maybe I'll finish a few this year!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM

i pile them wherever there is a place in my workroom, they are more accessible to work on at random. that should work, right? good intentions anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 PM

I also TRY to only have one project going at a time, but this past year or so I have gotten out of hand, and had about 6 UFO's-the smaller ones weren't a problem-just finished those by machine quilting on my new Brother. However, I have 3 queen tops I made and as I'm not very good at machine quilting yet, will have to hand-quilt them (unless I find the money to pay to have them long-armed).I am nearly finished sandwiching and thread-basting one of them ( and I can't stress enough how much I HATE doing that!) which I will hand-quilt, but I am itching to start the two I have ready to cut and piece (both queen)! I keep them in jumbo zip-lock bags. In fact, at one point, I had fabrics and pattern for 13 quilts waiting in the wings to do and all were kept in jumbo zip-lock bags and they took less storage that way and stayed clean and easy to see. I am proud to say, all 13 are made! (well, the 3 queen tops not quilted yet are the last three-but they are made!)
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by merry
I use those see through plastic containers at Wal-mart ($4) They have handles but can be stacked.
ditto
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
i pile them wherever there is a place in my workroom, they are more accessible to work on at random. that should work, right? good intentions anyway.
Me too