Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone ever have trouble getting around to a quilt? >

Does anyone ever have trouble getting around to a quilt?

Does anyone ever have trouble getting around to a quilt?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm staring at my current quilt, which is pinned to the wall. Okay, the actual quilt isn't pinned to the wall, but rather the backing fabric (the 4" extra around the quilt) is pinned to the wall, the batting is pinned to the backing, and the front of the quilt is pinned to that. Eh, not sure why I feel like I need to clairify on that.

I'm staring at it knowing I should be working on it. I could be marking the spots where the ties should go on the last three blocks for the ties...with pins because I had trouble getting the white chalk out when I marked in the wrong place so it looks more like a tool for voodoo practice rather than a quilt. Yet I can't seem to get around to it. Like last night before I got off work I told myself I would work on it, but when I got off work I decided I would play Professor Layton on my DS. Three hours of puzzle solving later I decided I would work on the quilt tomorrow. So now it's tomorrow and part of me is saying I should be playing Zelda so I can get one step closer to the part with the stained glass windows so I can record video with my video capture card, make screen shots, and make patterns.

It seems like I really want to work on it is when I'm taking break at work, but when I'm actually around the actual quilt I want to do other things. And I don't know why. I don't hate the quilt. In fact, I think it looks awesome so far. So its not a matter of not wanting to work on a quilt I despise. I know I want to get this thing done, off my bedroom wall, and go to Andrew's house to give it to him. Its more understandable if I get off work and don't want to do anything but relax because I'm tired. But then there's days like today where its my day off and I still have yet to make any progress and seem to keep thinking up of other things to do. Any theories as to why?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM

I don't know of a theory. But I am at work dreaming of quilting and when I get home, I end up doing so many other things (like checking on this board) that I don't always get around to sewing.

You're not the only one!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

I don't have trouble getting the top done, I have trouble getting it quilted, because I know what a pain in the behind it is and because of that I get tense when I'm quilting. I've got a top that's been done for months, another one for years. I'm determined though that they're going to get quilted soon (I hope).
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

no answers...just musings and theories.
My main one is: we have too many wants.
I want to do this,
but, I want to do that.
And I also want to do 'that'...
and it's easier to do 'this' first...
I think we outthink ourselves and go for the easiest way to occupy our minds with the least amount of effort.
There's something very soothing about sitting and only moving one's hands and occasionally getting up to eat or go to the powder room.
I wonder sometimes if I have an allergy to burning calories?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Could it be you like it so much you don't want to give it as a gift? If you don't finish it you won't be forced to part with it.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I have the same problem. I think that once I get close to finishing I loose interest.....I want a new challenge not the last few steps of one that is finished in my mind. It's the new challenge that gets me off track.:)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by saragasch
Could it be you like it so much you don't want to give it as a gift? If you don't finish it you won't be forced to part with it.
Its made from Slipknot shirts. Slipknot is his favorite band. I mean, I like them, too, but not enough to want a big quilt of their shirts hanging on my wall.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Hn I often like to play with new things rather than finish the "old". But finishing is good, it frees the wall for the new work!

So it helps me to negotiate a deal of some sort with my creative spirit - maybe if you allow yourself a bit of Zelda (just to the the next point where it makes sense to save and pause...), then a row of tie marking, pick up the game again and so on? the sooner you get this done, the sooner those beautiful window patterns can enter the stage.... :thumbup:
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM

I do, when I have a lot of mundane work to do, like pressing or pinning. So I bring it up to the living room and work on it in front of the TV. That way, when I have the chance to get down to my sewing room, I can sit at the machine and sew. I feel more productive in my sewing room when I'm actually sewing. When I have a million blocks to press, I don't feel like touching them, because it's boring! LOL
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM

my theory is if i don't want to work on it - i don't. for me quilting should be fun and relaxing, not a chore. you will get around to it when you feel like it. my goal for this year is to finish alot of the quilts i didn't feel like finishing and i am really enjoying it this time around. hey, could be weeks, could be years, either way you should want to do it. that is pretty much how i do most everything in my life!