Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How hard?

Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me how hard it is to make a bargello quilt? I love these quilts, but when I bought a book, it really intimadated me.

lots of experience on this board. Use the search function. I think there are tutorials too.

Not hard just intimidating you can make one but make sure you have a pattern .

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73927-8.htm#1825065

Look at this one it looks pretty easy when you see how she starts this one.

why not start out with a really simple one - go to quiltville.com and find the scrappy bargello.

I had the same intimidation that you have. But Really liked the results.... I just could not wrap my brain around the whole tube and unsewing thing. It is so much like sewing a regular strip set. Just take it slow ... and it will all "click" and you will be in love with the method. Yes the first one goes slow ... but that is true of everything new to our brains.
    It really sounds harder than it it. It has become one of my favorite methods. I find it to be just a slight different than regular strip quilting.
    Tip : just stay organized.
    Which book did you purchase?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    why not start out with a really simple one - go to quiltville.com and find the scrappy bargello.
    Quiltville.com has an excellent pattern for a scrappy bargello that is perfect for beginners because it uses the same size square for all pieces. We devoted one of our quilt meeting nights to this pattern and everyone's quilt came out fantastic.

I felt the same way. In the book I bought there were placemats and a table runner. I made the table runner first because I was too nervous to try a quilt. I love the runner and it was not that hard. I haven't started a quilt yet, but now I feel like I can do it with no problem.

lots of quilt patterns LOOK very involved, but when you get down to the 'bones' you find it really is a simple process...with great results. not all bargello patterns are beginner friendly but there are a number of them that are. try to find one that is a strip-pieced bargello. those come out great, and are easy to learn. have fun with it. i may have the same book you found...had it about 4 years now..it still intimidates the crap out of me,,,but i have made 4 bargello quilts but not using that book, had it out just a few days ago...my mind puts up a wall when i start reading it...
    try searching for strip-pieced bargello's or beginner bargello...should find some inspiration and helpful tips.

ashley's ocean strip-pieced bargello
    Name:  Attachment-118910.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  80.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    Quiltville.com has an excellent pattern for a scrappy bargello that is perfect for beginners because it uses the same size square for all pieces. We devoted one of our quilt meeting nights to this pattern and everyone's quilt came out fantastic.
    That is what I am doing now, since I am rather new to quilting, I am doing same size blocks, it's a challenge, but, as I look at it, it looks pretty good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast