Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just As Hard to do As Bargello >

Just As Hard to do As Bargello

Just As Hard to do As Bargello

Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Well, I've done it again. Picked a beautiful pattern. Another one that requires a road map. And just as easy to mess up as that Bargello I did last year. It is an eight point Lone Star I am adapting from the book Lone Star Quilts and Beyond by Jan Krentz.

My first challenge with this project was making the paste-up road map. I think I may have been traumatized by math at some point in my life. At times I have to read directions several times to get the point. I wanted to make the diamond template and could not get it right. First my diamond came out square. Next one came out uneven. So I redraw the whole thing. My parallel lines are 3 inches apart. Read book again. 3 inches. Check. Draw first 45 degree angle between lines. Read book. And read again. Second 45 degree angle needs to be 3 inches from first. So, with trepidation, I draw the second 45 degree angle. Measure all the sides and wonder of wonders they are all the same size. Template done.

Next, I draw one star point unit on graph paper. Each star point is a 4x4 layout. So, I have 16 blocks in each point. This will be my road map for each point. But, as you all know, this is where the mistakes can easily happen. Now, all I have to do is to pick out the colors.

The granddaughter I'm making this for is a Texas A & M alumni and of course loves maroon. I have three fabrics in my stash that might qualify as maroon so I had to go buy some fabric. (Said I was NOT going to do that!) Several hours later, I am back at home with six new fabrics for this quilt. I got one fabric that is sort of maroon with gold stars, one that has maroon with white and goldish roses and green leaves, one with maroon and cream colored stripes that has pinwheels in the cream stripe, a light green tone on tone, one with a gold/mustard background with small maroon designs, and a border type print that has all the colors of the other fabrics. That last one has some glitter on it that will probably wash off over time. From my stash I've pulled eleven fabrics. I think I'm ready to make the paste-up.

After cutting out diamonds from each fabric, I auditioned each piece. Of course, Scooter the Quilty Kitty, was ecstatic because We Are Quilting Again. And Hubby was also there putting in his two cents. With the help of Magic Mirrors, I finally have the paste-up complete and I WILL NOT change my mind on layout.

I will put a link to my Webshots where I will have photos of the fabrics and the paste-up road map. May take an hour or so to get the photos up.

Wish me luck!

Linda in North Central Texas where it is a Beautiful Day.

ETA: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569910446PgSQFg

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

sounds like after all that figuring, you are off to a great quilt!!!! The fabrics are beautiful and your mock up looks really great!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 PM

It's going to be a beautiful quilt. Way, way over my head though.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM

Very nice. Your braver than I. I am sure you will do an awesome job :D
But i do have to ask why didnt you get some A&M fabric? There are a couple that are pretty. Here is just one store they have lots of colleges. I KNOW I am not helping I am so sorry.
http://www.bearpawquilting.com/cgi-b...=Texas%20A%20M
Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Love those interesting sub-patterns. Quite an undertaking!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

wow, they are all pretty, but the maroon with the pink and white roses....wow!