Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I have the hardest time cutting a straight line with my ruler unless I hold it down really well. I cut on my floor for the most part, so what I end up doing is putting a knee on one end of the ruler and my hand on the other end and then cutting with my other hand. It works fine, and I get straight cutting w/o the ruler moving on me, but I think I would prefer to cut on my table, however, every time I do cut on the table I have problems with my ruler moving on me.

I would love help with figuring out how to fix this issue!

Hoping my SS won't know it is me sending them their SS package
    Blog Entries
    I use the sand paper sticky dots. Cut them into 1/4's and
    randomly space them on the ruler.

This really helps me.
    Louise - Expecting Ya-ya to be in April 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world . Also collect homemade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    I like the Invisi-grip and use it on all of my rulers. I tried the sandpaper dots, but I don't care for them.

http://www.joann.com/omnigrid-invisi...x36-/prd17402/

Also, when you are cutting, do not put all of your fingers on the ruler. Keep the last 2 on the table and the rest on the ruler. It really does help keep it from moving.

Do you have any rubber cement in the house? Try putting a couple of stripes on the side that touches the fabric and letting it dry. The rubber will keep it from shifting.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I like the Invisi-grip and use it on all of my rulers. I tried the sandpaper dots, but I don't care for them.

Also, when you are cutting, do not put all of your fingers on the ruler. Keep the last 2 on the table and the rest on the ruler. It really does help keep it from moving.
    Thank you! I'm going to try both of these things the next time I'm cutting!

One question, do you put the invisigrip on the whole ruler, or just in a few places?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    Do you have any rubber cement in the house? Try putting a couple of stripes on the side that touches the fabric and letting it dry. The rubber will keep it from shifting.
    Ooh, I DO have rubber cement in the house! I will try that first and see how it works. I love solutions that don't make me buy something new.

I recently read about using spray basting, a very light cost on the ruler. I tried it and love it. When it gets too dirty or stops holding, I simply use "goo-gone"to clean it and start again.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I use the sand paper sticky dots. Cut them into 1/4's and
    randomly space them on the ruler.

This really helps me.[/QUOTE]

This is what I do too.

I use the clear dots like the sandpaper but more plastic in texture. I love them
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post

Invisigrip is great!! I tried other things, and this works great. I have put it on all my rulers.

Invisigrip is great!! I tried other things, and this works great. I have put it on all my rulers.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast