Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

How to keep ruler from sliding while cutting?

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I have the hardest time cutting a straight line with my ruler unless I hold it down really well. I cut on my floor for the most part, so what I end up doing is putting a knee on one end of the ruler and my hand on the other end and then cutting with my other hand. It works fine, and I get straight cutting w/o the ruler moving on me, but I think I would prefer to cut on my table, however, every time I do cut on the table I have problems with my ruler moving on me.

I would love help with figuring out how to fix this issue!

Blog Entries
    I use the sand paper sticky dots. Cut them into 1/4's and
    randomly space them on the ruler.

This really helps me.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    I like the Invisi-grip and use it on all of my rulers. I tried the sandpaper dots, but I don't care for them.

http://www.joann.com/omnigrid-invisi...x36-/prd17402/

Also, when you are cutting, do not put all of your fingers on the ruler. Keep the last 2 on the table and the rest on the ruler. It really does help keep it from moving.

Do you have any rubber cement in the house? Try putting a couple of stripes on the side that touches the fabric and letting it dry. The rubber will keep it from shifting.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I like the Invisi-grip and use it on all of my rulers. I tried the sandpaper dots, but I don't care for them.

Also, when you are cutting, do not put all of your fingers on the ruler. Keep the last 2 on the table and the rest on the ruler. It really does help keep it from moving.
    Thank you! I'm going to try both of these things the next time I'm cutting!

One question, do you put the invisigrip on the whole ruler, or just in a few places?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    Do you have any rubber cement in the house? Try putting a couple of stripes on the side that touches the fabric and letting it dry. The rubber will keep it from shifting.
    Ooh, I DO have rubber cement in the house! I will try that first and see how it works. I love solutions that don't make me buy something new.

I recently read about using spray basting, a very light cost on the ruler. I tried it and love it. When it gets too dirty or stops holding, I simply use "goo-gone"to clean it and start again.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I use the sand paper sticky dots. Cut them into 1/4's and
    randomly space them on the ruler.

This really helps me.[/QUOTE]

This is what I do too.

I use the clear dots like the sandpaper but more plastic in texture. I love them
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post

Invisigrip is great!! I tried other things, and this works great. I have put it on all my rulers.

Invisigrip is great!! I tried other things, and this works great. I have put it on all my rulers.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

This is what I have been doing for about 3 years. It goes on somewhat unevenly, though, so after the spraying, I usually rub it with a cloth, test it's stickiness on fabric, rub it again, etc. until it is just right. I also only use spray basting on fabric or rulers when I am in a very well ventilated place - never remotely near my sewing machines!

I have also used thin rubber bands when nothing else was available. It does 'hold' onto the fabric - until you cut the rubber band.

I use a scotch tape holder that I have. It is weighted so you can pull tape off with one hand. I put it on top of my ruler, at the end, and cut away. I use my scotch tape paperweight to keep fabric from slipping off the counter and ironing board also.

When using invisagrip, I put it the whole length and width of the ruler. Walk your fingers up the ruler, always keeping some pressure on the ruler. Don't do that while cutting, and cut only where you fingers are stretched out to insure the ruler doesn't move.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Also, the white strips that you use on the hangers for the wall - just cut a few squares and put them on the back corners.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    I press down hard on the ruler with my left hand. Then i cut even with my left hand. I stop, move my left hand up the ruler , press down and continue cutting. I never cut passed my left hand. When I do That's when the shift occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I use the clear dots like the sandpaper but more plastic in texture. I love them
    Me too!!!!!!

I have the clear sticky dots on a few of my frequently used rulers and they help tremendously. In addition, I will sometimes use spring clamps to hold the rulers in place. Helps alot.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I have a couple 8 pound weights that I keep on my cutting table. I put one (or both on longer rulers) on my ruler and the weight keeps the ruler from moving.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    There have been times I've encouraged students to place their whole arm, from hand to elbow, on the ruler to hold it down, and that seems to help. (On a table surface.)

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I like Invisi-grip, but I want to try the rubber cement idea. Sounds like it would be even better. Even with Invisi-grip, the ruler will move. I have always followed the advice to hold down the ruler in the area you are cutting, then "walk" your fingers up the ruler as you continue to cut away from yourself. Any time I try to hold it in one place and cut the entire length, it slips a little on me.

About 10 years ago I went to JoAnn's and bought their lightest weight clear plastic and cut it to fit the back of all my rulers. I have only had to replace the plastic on one ruler in that time. I also cut strips of this plastic and wrap it around my thread spools to keep things tidy.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

My cutting table is at a good, comfortable height where i can get a good reach and good angle. I also cut TOWARDS me - starting at the farthest point and pulling the rotary cutter towards me instead of pushing it away from me. For me, I can control much better. I know most of you will say "It's not safe" I don't have problems w/ my ruler moving and i've never lost control of my cutter.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

What a great idea! Am going to try that one. I bought two sided tape and some really course sandpaper and made my own sandpaper dots, going to get out the spray glue and experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma View Post
    I recently read about using spray basting, a very light cost on the ruler. I tried it and love it. When it gets too dirty or stops holding, I simply use "goo-gone"to clean it and start again.
    Quilt outside of the box!

I use Quilters Slide Lock. It holds the ruler in place and I know I won't have a nasty cutting accident. I the small and large size. I won't cut without them. I have the Alto Quilt Cut and it holds the fabric but it's limiting for bigger cuts.

The invisi -grips work really well.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast