Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long should a walking food last? >

How long should a walking food last?

How long should a walking food last?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I also agree that this is not the part to try and save money on. Bite the bullet & get the name brand one and make sure it's the correct one for your machine. Like ckcowl, I started with an inexpensive generic that lasted only a few months. The brand name replacement is 5 years old and still working well.
In addition to making sure that you are installing it properly (it can be tricky!) how are you quilting with it? A walking foot will SITD, or do gentle curves, not FMQ. Are you supporting the quilt properly? The foot can't pull the whole quilt thru the machine by itself, you have to make sure there's no drag.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I would refer back to your machine manal for installation.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 AM

straight stitch only
Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 AM

I never knew there were so many rules for walking feet!
The one for my Bernina cost as much as my previous machine- but it is fabulous! It runs so smoothly (and has for a few years) and I love the interchangeable soles for stitch in the ditch or open for better visibility than the standard sole. It is also so easy to put on compared to my last walking foot.

Originally Posted by sandyms View Post
Don't forget that you're not suppose to sew reverse stitches with a walking foot on. It seems to mess up timing or something - either way, the needle starts hitting the walking foot and then you have to buy another one.
Mine sews just as nicely backwards as forwards. I've never had an issue with the needle hitting it.

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
straight stitch only
I use mine all the time for decorative stitches.

Last edited by Skittl1321; 08-13-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I never knew there were so many rules for walking feet!
The one for my Bernina cost as much as my previous machine- but it is fabulous! It runs so smoothly (and has for a few years) and I love the interchangeable soles for stitch in the ditch or open for better visibility than the standard sole. It is also so easy to put on compared to my last walking foot.

Mine sews just as nicely backwards as forwards. I've never had an issue with the needle hitting it.

I use mine all the time for decorative stitches.
Well the funny thing is this. My parents arrived two days ago with the Bernina that I inherited when my 102 year old grandmother passed away. She was a seriously talented quilter almost till the end. I haven't looked through the stuff yet or tried it, but I think I need to see if there is a walking foot. If not maybe the next one I buy needs to be for that machine instead of the Brother.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 AM

I broke two generic walking feet until I bought a brand name.
Much better quality.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

The IDT feature of the Pfaffs is worth its weight in gold. I can disengage it when it is not useful/needed. (Models 1471, 1473 - late 1980s)

I can sew backwards or forwards and do decorative stitches with (or without) it being engaged.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM

My walking foot for my Viking lets me go backwards , and decorative wide stitches. I have owned and used it for about 15 years.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 AM

I bought a generic walking foot about 20 years ago and it's still working. Sews backwards too. I have a newer Brother that enbroideries (sp) too and the walking foot on it broke. Go figure. I used the generic walking foot on my 1990 something Kenmore but now it's on my old straight stitch 237 Singer in a cabinet. No problems here.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM

I have had a generic walking foot for my 1970's era Viking and also my Featherweight and they have worked just fine for a lot of miles sewn. I did have to replace one a few years back because the plastic part where the screw goes to affix it on to the machine cracked but the foot mechanism still operated like it should. I do find that you have to be careful how it's aligned and so when I'm putting it on I use the wheel on the side of the machine to slowly lower the needle to make sure it goes through the foot with plenty of clearance. The ones I have purchased have been in the $25 range. I have never tried to sew backwards with it and don't know why I would ever want to. I tie and pull my thread ends into the quilt bat with a needle which I prefer the look of over backstitching to secure the ends.