Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How long can you refrigerate or keep food in freezer?  (Enjoy!) >
  • How long can you refrigerate or keep food in freezer? (Enjoy!)

• How long can you refrigerate or keep food in freezer? (Enjoy!)

Old 06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
    Google Goddess

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/...-food-1753460/
    Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Well, this answer varies...is it for my family, or my dog? My dog does not mind a little freezer burned meat (cooked, of course!) whatsoever. ; - D
    Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM

I date my frozen meats to keep track. I hate it when it freezes with burn. Tastes so different. I don't throw the meat out but will thaw it and cook it for the dogs. LOL.
    Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM

I bought a FoodSaver vacuum sealer about 12 years ago. I can save my food in the freezer for a long, long, long time. Have yet to have anything freezer burnt. Raised three kids with it and now that it is just hubby and me, it is still going strong. Might seem a bit expensive at first but I can tell you we have saved a bundle with it!
    Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
    I bought a FoodSaver vacuum sealer about 12 years ago. I can save my food in the freezer for a long, long, long time. Have yet to have anything freezer burnt. Raised three kids with it and now that it is just hubby and me, it is still going strong. Might seem a bit expensive at first but I can tell you we have saved a bundle with it!

Recently purchased 10 lb sized bags of organic chicken. WHAT was I thinking??? They are solid blocks. I cannot thaw/refreeze of course. But when do i need this much at one time? Guess it was an amazing price $1/lb...YES, REALLY! But, there are just my husband and myself. Guess I'll be feeding the grandkids chicken for a week when they get to Oklahoma for grandma camp this summer
    :thumbup:
    Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by cimarron

Recently purchased 10 lb sized bags of organic chicken. WHAT was I thinking??? They are solid blocks. I cannot thaw/refreeze of course. But when do i need this much at one time? Guess it was an amazing price $1/lb...YES, REALLY! But, there are just my husband and myself. Guess I'll be feeding the grandkids chicken for a week when they get to Oklahoma for grandma camp this summer
    You can freeze cooked chicken in small batches.
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 AM

Excellent suggestion! Guess I felt duty bound that upon thawing I prepare different (multiple) dishes, and freeze them. But you are right, no reason at all I could not simply bake the chicken, and debone it and freeze in smaller portions sans any other ingredients. Thank you, I tend to make simple things too hard. I need someone to "talk me down off the roof!" at times. I'm such a silly girl at times. ; - D LOL
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 AM

Ditto to Dakotamaid's response. When I was so busy with kids activities every night of the week I would buy various meats, cook them all at one time, and freeze in meal size packages. Next time you go to the grocery store check out the bags of chicken fajitas, stir fry or whatever...you can do your own and have a head start on dinner for those grandkids when they come visit.
    Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    Ditto to Dakotamaid's response. When I was so busy with kids activities every night of the week I would buy various meats, cook them all at one time, and freeze in meal size packages. Next time you go to the grocery store check out the bags of chicken fajitas, stir fry or whatever...you can do your own and have a head start on dinner for those grandkids when they come visit.

YES MAAM...I try to prepare the meals ahead...so we can play and run all over the place. I wear myself and them out until they say it is OK to stay home. Then we hit the library, which was my plan all along! (HE HE !) The girls do not know it, but they get to learn how to do a simple quilt for themselves this visit... The grandsons JUST want to mountain bike at trails at the lake with their grandfather. It is really something they love. About kills my sweetheart..but the boys love it, so he's game. The trails being by the lake are great. When they overheat, they just jump into the lake to cool down again.
    Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Originally Posted by cimarron

You can freeze cooked chicken in small batches.
    Why can't you thaw and refreeze chicken?