Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long should a walking food last? >

How long should a walking food last?

How long should a walking food last?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM

I have to agree with Skittl1321, I've had my walking foot for at least 15 years, and have never had any problems, I've used it doing decorative stitching, I've used it in reverse. My suggestion would be that maybe you have the wrong shank height for your machine, other than that I don't have a clue what would be causing your problem.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Not true with my Bernina walking foot. I've used my walking foot with all kinds of decorative stitches, forward and backward. Mechanically, there's no stop mechanism to prevent the movement either direction.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 PM

i bought the correct janome foot for my janome machine.

after about 10 years and maybe 10 quilts (really not sure - i hand quilt too) the plastic piece that rests against the screw on my presser foot lever thingy cracked. and then after another quilt it finally broke apart.

frankly i was not too impressed.

that foot was almost $100 when i bought it. and the plastic at that joint was too soft for the kind of repetitive motion it was theoretically designed to withstand.

i haven't replaced it, but i am going to have to. in the mean time my machine might also need replacing, so all new purchases are on hold.

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 08-13-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 AM

Is it possible that the screw holding the foot to the needle bar is not loosening up as you sew? I always give mine an extra test to make sure it is securely screwed down.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I quilted for almost 10 years for others and yes, I did actually wear out my Bernina walking foot. Just bought a new one for my older Bernina 1530 on eBay and I am so glad I can put the generic away. it did the job but not as smoothly as the Bernina walking foot. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM

My walking feet are years old and no trouble.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 AM

It may not be the foot at all that's causing you problems. Someone else posted here that she started suddenly having trouble sewing and it turned out to be the fabric; one fabric in particular just was not playing nice. Are you sewing on EXACTLY the same fabrics as when it was working? Not just same manufacturer, but same color and everything? There might be something else you can adjust to make it work properly.

Have you tried changing the needle itself? Maybe it got a little bent at some point and that's why you're having trouble with layers? Can you stitch through the quilt without the walking foot on OK?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 AM

I have replaced the walking foot for my Baby Lock after having it for just under 2 years. The lady that services my machine said it was because of the many miles of quilting it was used for. She did say it should be oiled occasionally which I never did. I bought another Baby Lock walking foot & it is on it's 2nd year now.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 AM

They do break sometimes. I had one for my Bernina 440QE that broke after about two years-needless to say I was very upset because I had taken good care of it.. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced a small wire in it for $15 and has been working fine since. Good luck on getting it repaired.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 AM

Well what I finally did was plug in my old, but new to me classic bernina that was my grandmothers. First of all even though its a dinosaur from the 80's this machine is far superior and you can tell right away. I'm all excited about the whole thing. The sad thing is the needle on it was broken and was never replaced. At some point it broke for her and she was done and never said anything to anyone. I had to go get a new walking foot for it because my grandmother sewed, but only did hand quilting. At the store they had to go in back and dig for the part and if I want a FMQ foot they have to special order it. My next question is this. Do sewing machines get so old that you finally can't find parts for them?

Also this walking foot did cost as much as my cheap brother machine, so it better last or I will be upset.

Thank you so much for all your replies.

Last edited by Zyngawf; 08-14-2014 at 07:53 AM.