Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long would you expect a quilt to last? >

How long would you expect a quilt to last?

How long would you expect a quilt to last?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 AM

Default How long would you expect a quilt to last?

The quilt in question was made with fabric from a LQS, has a poly batting, and was quilted on a long arm at a LQS. The quilt has been used day and night (it's used as a cover at night.) It's well loved.

Obviously I'm disappointed in it's current condition, but perhaps I am expecting too much from a quilt that has seen so much use and love.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 AM

How long have you been using it?

My daughters each have Christmas quilts that I made over 20 years ago, they are tied and I used poly batting. The quilts are only washed about 2 -3 times a year. They do not look new but are still going strong.

The fact that your quilt is getting lots of use for me would be great. I like when mine gets used, it means I can make more. My niece had twins 5 years ago, so far I have made each of them 3 quilts. Once when born, then another one because I found an interesting pattern to try for an I-Spy, then the last one was because my nephew found some Star Wars fabric that he wanted his mom to make a blanket for him. His sister is into Disney Princesses so she got that. They aren't sure how I know (their mom sends me pictures of what they like) so are thrilled to get them. I also make them pillow cases to match or for the years I don't do quilts for them. So I don't expect them to last too long, just long enough to make them happy and last as long as their interest in the subject matter.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 AM

I know of one that was made in the 1960's and was used fairly often ... not sure if was used every year and everyday. The family dog was the death of that one. It was getting worn looking but that was part of the charm
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

A quilt's life depends on how well it is taken care of. I made a dog quilt for my Westie and I still have it after he slept on it for over 12 years.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

There are so many variables. How often is it washed, how is it washed, how is it dried, are there pets in the home that also sleep on the quilt, is the quilt exposed to a lot of direct sunlight?

My two oldest quilts (been in use, not counting years in the making) are probably about 20 years old. One is in a guest room, always on the bed but rarely used and I can count the number of times it has been washed as less than 10. I am pretty sure I have dried in the dryer as well as on the line. The fabrics were from Jo Anne. It faded horribly in a very short period of time, exposed to sun in late afternoon. Some of the fabrics have worn through in places but overall it is in very good shape. all hand quilted, poly batting.

The other sees more use, it is on my bed and is pretty much used year round but has other quilts layered on top of it in winter. I have 4 cats that are also allowed on the bed. It has been washed numerous times but still probably less than 30 times. Most washing has involved line drying only, no tumble dry. It is also hand quilted, poly batting and JAF. It also faded in spots but because shades are drawn in my b/r fading is not as bad. The binding was done on straight of grain and needs to be replaced but other than that it is in very good shape.

My one LA quilted quilt that is in pretty regular use is only 4 or 5 years old. It is all LQS fabrics, 80/20 batting and it looks good as new. Again I don't wash my quilts all the time. Unless they are soiled I probably only wash a couple times per year. And try to do it when I can line dry them. There are sheets between my grubby body and the quilt and my cats are indoor only so they aren't getting any dirt on them, but they do deposit cat hair which I regularly shake out.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 PM

currently I am putting a new backing on a quilt that I made 15 years ago. This quilt was really used constantly BY the 3 grandchildren and my son watching television. It had a small tear on the backing. It would have been easier to made a new quilt then repair.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Quilt shop fabric, long arm quilted with pantograph, washed every couple of weeks and going on 5 years and still looking good.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:12 PM

I have a quilt that was finished in 1949. It has been loved and used for most of 60+ years. It has been washed at least twice per year. The only thing I have had to repair is a small hole a dog chewed in one block. This quilt was hand quilted.

I also have some machine quilted placemats that I bought at a craft market. The quilting on these started to come out after the first washing. I just figured the person that quilted them used some very bad thread.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 PM

I have one that I pieced almost 20 years ago and it took me another ten years to get around to quilting it. It's the blue and yellow one in my album.

It wasn't really planned very well. I just bought a bunch of fabric that I thought looked good together. Just kind of slammed it together on my sewing machine, bound it with a stockpile of black bias tape I had laying around and pieced a backing out of light blue uniform shirts. It's not a work of art but I use it almost everyday and it has strong stitching and has been thrown in the washer and dryer countless times and still going strong.

Not going for art and perfection. What I like about quilting is you make it yourself, pick your fabric and have fun creating it. The bottom line for me is utility. I want things that can be used and stand up to everyday life.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 PM

I have 2 antique quilts, one dated from circa 1860's and the other from circa 1920. I don't use them but I still have them. They were all hand made.