Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you expect from a beginner class? >

What would you expect from a beginner class?

What would you expect from a beginner class?

Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 AM

Default What would you expect from a beginner class?

I learned how to sew as a child so I never felt the need to take a sewing class when I started quilting. In hindsight I think it would have been a good idea, probably would not have made the mistakes I made especially because I didn't have the right tools. I was talking to a young woman yesterday who said she would be interested in taking a beginner class. Which led me to question what skills would you expect from this class? I guess one could say it would depend on whether it was beginner sewing or quilting. Please help me decide if this is something I want to take on. Also let me say that I have taught nieces as well as friends how to make a small wall hanging or doll quilt.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I would explain to the instructor or whoever is going to be holding the class your situation. You may want to check out some videos. So many free videos on YouTube. Also Jenny Doan has a lot of instruction videos. If you go to her website the last few video pages like 20 to the end (you have to scroll all the way down to the end of the page) is mostly about beginning sewers (I prefer seamstress). Any way try that also. My niece took a beginning class at a local quilt shop and she already knew (at the ripe old age of 10) more than everyone else. She had already made the item the class was going to make. it was mainly first cleaning and understanding the machine, 1/4" seam allowance and measuring the fabric. She had photos on her phone of everything she had made. So ask what the class is about. You may want to look into a more advanced class. You can always learn something though. My niece said she did learn something from it and was glad even though a little bored that she took the class. It was an hour long.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 AM

I've been quilting for about 20 years, mainly self-taught but did take some classes. For a beginner class I would think the following needs to be covered:

Basic notions - sewing machine, rotary cutter, mat, scissors, pins, iron, thread, presser feet, seam ripper
Fabric Choices
Cutting Fabric (and rotary cutter safety!)
1/4-inch seam allowance
Pressing
Matching seams
Batting choices
Stitch-in-the-ditch quilting
Binding

Be sure the students walk away with a completely finished project. Preferably the project would have a few simple triangles just so you can show them a couple of ways of doing triangles.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 AM

First I would tell them to relax, Quilting is a journey not race or contest. Things they need to know. What tools are a must have, how to use the tools, how to square up blocks, and quilt tops, difference between iron and press. How to get an accurate 1/4 seam, basic cleaning, maintain of machine, what are color values, how to read and understand a pattern, a list of common terms and what they are- half square triangle-WOF-bias- etc. I'm sure there are a lot more. My be ask them to make sure they know there machines before the class. Good luck with you class
Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 AM

I thought she was asking about teaching a class, not taking one.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM

I taught my granddaughter (13) how to cut out square blocks then border them using my BL xcape. She had never sewn before. She found it boring after an hour and only wanted to play on our computer. She did finish the blocks for a baby quilt which I put together and quilted. My husband is starting to want to learn to make a quilt. He does like to go to quilt shops with me and pick out fabric. I said I would sign him up for a beginners class. He said no. First he needs to know about my machines and how to sew 2 pieces of fabric together. He knows a little about rotary cutters and rulers but hasn't used them together. Everything will be new to him. He will be 67 in January so is really starting late. He says he wants to make a rag quilt but wants to wait til next summer when we go camping in the upper peninsula so he can get flannel from the village craft shop in Paradise,MI which has a fabulous, large collection of quality flannels. Maybe he should learn to sew on a button first.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I thought she was asking about teaching a class, not taking one.
This was my understanding also, and I think you provided a very comprehensive list!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

You would have to decide how basic a level. Are they familiar with a sewing machine and basic tools? Next level, are the familiar with sewing on a machine and want to learn quilt piecing? Next level, can piece but want to learn to sandwich and quilt?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I've been quilting for about 20 years, mainly self-taught but did take some classes. For a beginner class I would think the following needs to be covered:

Basic notions - sewing machine, rotary cutter, mat, scissors, pins, iron, thread, presser feet, seam ripper
Fabric Choices
Cutting Fabric (and rotary cutter safety!)
1/4-inch seam allowance
Pressing
Matching seams
Batting choices
Stitch-in-the-ditch quilting
Binding

Be sure the students walk away with a completely finished project. Preferably the project would have a few simple triangles just so you can show them a couple of ways of doing triangles.
I totally agree with this. The only thing I would add is how to prepare the fabric and find the straight of grain.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I like the list too. I would add "Folding Fabric to avoid the dreaded V"