Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to look for fabric on the net >

How to look for fabric on the net

How to look for fabric on the net

Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 PM

Default How to look for fabric on the net

I am looking for this Blank textiles fabric BTR-5197 and have tried looking for it and have come up with nothing, could someone tell me how to do it? Please, I know people on here are so good at finding things I just don't know how to be successful, would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Is this it?

Dina

http://www.sewingproducts.com/index....hk=1&Itemid=93
Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM

Dena, that is it! Thank you. Would you tell me how you found it? I have no clue, I tried before and found nothing. Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 PM

It looks like Dina might have found it, but in terms of searching for something, there are several things to try. (I don't know how familiar you are with internet searching so please don't be offended if some of this seems over simplified! ).

It helps to try different combinations of either just the SKU or the fabric line and pattern name. Experiment with using quote marks. When you put a search term in quote marks it searches for that exact string of words rather than just picking up several of the words you searched all over the page. For example, if I am searching for a John Smith, and I type it without quotes, I might get some search results that might have content stating that "John West went to the store. Mary Smith planted flowers." While both of your search terms appear, there is no John Smith there. If you search "John Smith" you will get only results where those two words appear together.

Also try searching under "images" tab as well (at the top of the search engine page). This can get you some different results than just the "web" search.

It can also help to try different search engines as well such as Bing or Yahoo, and Google of course if that's not what you are already using. Search results can get ranked differently so you might notice something else on a different search engine.

I've also noticed that ebay results don't always show if you are not searching directly on ebay. Ebay and Etsy can be good places to find discontinued fabrics.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:30 AM

There are also search engines just for fabrics. For example:
http://www.quiltshops.com/index.html
http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/
http://www.fabshophop.com/fabsearch.asp
Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 AM

Sometimes you can find it on the manufactures web site depending on how old the fabric is, then you can search for shops that carry it.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:19 AM

People have also mentioned that they are able to search using an image. Though it's been explained, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on my computer.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
Dena, that is it! Thank you. Would you tell me how you found it? I have no clue, I tried before and found nothing. Thank you so much.
I just googled exactly what you were looking for: Blank Textiles Fabric BTR-5197. Several choices came up, and the third one took me to a picture of some pretty good looking fabric. I hoped it was what you wanted. Neato!!

Dina
Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I do exactly what Dina did. The more info, the better your chances. Also look at the photos in the Google search. Sometimes a shop will have a picture posted of the fabric.